Good Morning

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning

Post by KimChick » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:53 pm

I have always been intrigued with blue heelers ever since I met one years ago. It had nice colouring, too.
We're going to start our seeds in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks.
All our birds were let out yesterday; it was such a nice day. The guineas were not at all interested in going in until close to 7pm. Then, like turdeys, I had to remind them how to get back in through the door.
We have place our bird order for this year - meat chickens, turkeys, and Rhode Island Red day olds, males and females.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:02 am

Good morning,
Snow disappearing very fast, wake up every morning to loud wild turkey gobbling near the house , couldn't figure out where it's coming from, don't see any foot prints around the house, so today I finally put my glasses on at 6:50 am !!!! and found out they are roosting in one of the large pines and the loud gobbling ensues when they take flight out of the pines.
That would explain the dogs enthusiastic search under the pines every day..... :lol:
On another note, waiting on shoes I have ordered and it has been somewhat of an eye opener, the shoes started out of in Oven Sound, then traveled to Concord ON, and are spending a weekend in Belleville, at least my shoes get to go places :rofl:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:50 am

Eventful last few days. Planted 12 hills potatoes before the rain on Thursday. Target, Fathers day.

Have three broody hens set right now. First one should hatch a week today. Second on the wed after, and just set the third one yesterday. I dont like having them hatch at the same time, never goes well with mixing up mothers and chicks.

Gilley (hardG) kept teasing me. Every day I had thought it was the day for the last two weeks. I was suspecting maybe false pregnancy. Then yesterday she had CRIPLETS! In ten years we have had lots of twins and a few singles, but never criplets.

She had showed some signs yesterday morning, and I was checking her every two hours or so. Not doing anything. Went out at 2 in the aft and three live on the ground. Two bucklings and a doeling. Bucks are the fawn shoulders, doeling is black. I am well pleased. Already have them on kijiji so that when they are weaned they will have a place to go.

It never gets old with the babies searching for the boob the first time.

All signs of real spring. I am sort of smiling some now.
Attachments
How do they know.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
nursing.JPG
How do they know?
How do they know?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:34 am

It never gets old, I miss seeing the lambs being born and finding that first meal. Good Gilley, she deserves extra for that!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:05 pm

The Criplets.
Attachments
WWG1WGA
WWG1WGA
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm

Happy babies and spring!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:03 pm

Odd question. Apparently when you get twin calves of different sexes the female is a freemartin. I guess the same doesn't happen in sheep and goats?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:36 pm

@WLLady I have limited knowledge of horses but have only met 1 angry horse and I think that if he could talk he would have said "Let me out of this stall!!!" Our old neighbours had Clydesdales and they were calm, gentle, and liked apples. Any animal can be dangerous. Seems as logical as my doctor saying she will only see little men because big men are too dangerous. :lol:

:stars: Beautiful!! Congrats!! @Farrier1987 :stars:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:12 pm

@Killerbunny "In sheep and goats, although twins are frequent (but also triplets or quadruplets in some breeds), XX/XY mosaicism correlated to free-martinism occurs at very low frequencies (5−6%) in twins of different sexes, probably because sex differentiation occurs much earlier in sheep (20–25 days after fertilization) than in cattle [125]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8001068/
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Yes it’s common in cattle, my first 4h heifer calf was a twin of a bull calf and a freemartin. In the 10 years and over 1000 lambs we had, most twins, triplets or quads we never had a freemartin ewe lamb but we did have one lamb with a mix of male and female genitalia.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”