Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by ross » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Seems folks are clamouring for any kind of laying hen all over social media getting prepared for the depression I guess . Can’t wait for “Chick Mills”to produce young , need instant gratification I quess .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:04 pm

I feel bad for all those chicks and ready-to-lay hens going out to people who have no clue and have done little or no homework. :-(
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Just like puppy dogs & others . Same old same old just different critters.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 am

Good morning I guess it is technically morning,

Just finished my online Grower Pesticide Safety Course from U of G, just need to wait for the instructor to mark my work.

It was sunny but cold Wednesday, looking forward to warmer weather to arrive.... sometime.

Wednesday I picked up a few guinea fowl keets to eventually free range for bug control, in my travels I also piked up a few sour cherry and sea buckthorn saplings, so I will need to plant them soon.

My turkeys are now laying well and I finally got my chocolate turkey hens to lay in the nest box. By Beltsville hens are being a pain and picked a muddy corner of their run to lay, I moved their nest box to that spot and then they picked a new hard to access, muddy corner to continue to lay. Goofy birds.

Good night.

Jim
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:55 am

ross wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:32 pm
Seems folks are clamouring for any kind of laying hen all over social media getting prepared for the depression I guess . Can’t wait for “Chick Mills”to produce young , need instant gratification I quess .
SO, SO many people looking for hens. Lots of new owners have ordered from hatcheries only to just have their orders cancelled. Frey's can't get their "heritage" breed chicks across the U.S. border right now, and demand for layer and meat breeds are outstripping supply.
So many new owners who are already looking for round two, because they bought chicks (or grown hens) and promptly managed to kill them off. It's a chicken: you set it loose on your suburban property, and throw your table scraps at it, and all is well, right? That's what our grandparents did, right?
People are even snapping up roosters like never before. Paying good money for them, even :eek:
So now, with the "shortage" of chickens, they're looking for ducks, turkeys, geese, even guineafowl. Or, "Ginnies" as I've seen it spelled more than once :roll:
It's more important than ever to offer a bit of education if you're selling chickens to anyone right now. I'm feeling chagrined that I could be actually making some money off my birds for a change (I've had some really exorbitant offers, from people literally off the street), and helping a lot of new owners to enjoy their new hobby, but I just do NOT have the time or energy right now. I DID sell some fertile mutt eggs, but to an experienced keeper who's elderly flock is not enough to keep them in eggs to eat.
Demand for other livestock is high too...piglets and bred sows, kids and bred does in particular. Even Holstein bull calves are seeing a nice uptick in price, and usually those guys just get a bullet and dumped in a manure pile. People are worried about food supply and perhaps rightly so...but many of these people think farming is as easy as going to the grocery store, and aren't willing to listen to people telling them that it's NOT.

OK, so, I have a notification that @Ontario Chick mentioned me in a thread titled "Jewel's sisters" but the thread appears to have disappeared :-? I'm wondering if OC had some more gorgeous 'oopsie's she was hoping I would snatch up :lol: Hana, you should know that the lovely light blue hen I got from you is doing very well. She has earned a name, Rushd, it means 'practical'. Besides an episode last year as a pullet where she hid a nest (and then sat it) in a really ridiculous spot, she is the most no-nonsense, no drama hen I have.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 am

JimW wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 am
My turkeys are now laying well and I finally got my chocolate turkey hens to lay in the nest box. By Beltsville hens are being a pain and picked a muddy corner of their run to lay, I moved their nest box to that spot and then they picked a new hard to access, muddy corner to continue to lay. Goofy birds.
Oh gosh @JimW that's too funny. The 3 that are in with Junior decided to lay in a muddy corner! It's best if they roll the eggs around to get a really good coating on them. So I put lots of straw back in that corner. They then carefully took it all out and went back to laying in the mud!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:08 am

my turkeys scraped out a ditch nest beside and partially under the barn right beside the eavestrough. its dirt. and its been snowing/raining a lot....lol i think maybe the muck deters predators. or something lol makes sense to them.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:20 am

Darn, can't get away with anything @windwalkingwolf I was offering "Jewel" my "almost Black" wyandotte rooster for sale and since you showed interest in him when I was finished with him, I poked you....
was then admonished by a fellow PTOer that you have quite enough on your plate without starting a breeding project, so I backed off to rethink ;)
I am going to be selling all my young birds, just trying to figure out the right approach, before I resort to Kijiji :sAng_banghead:

Thank you on the update on the hen, your description of her makes me think she is much like me ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:41 am

It's official, Kathleen wants babies!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:31 am

Good morning! Just stopping in and perusing posts.
By the way, I hope we get the (annual) order that we placed for turkeys and meat chickens.
Last edited by KimChick on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Around the Waterer”