Pure Ameraucana?

General discussion forum.
muffin57
Chatty Hen

Pure Ameraucana?

Post by muffin57 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Check out this ad on Kijiji

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/thund ... nFlag=true

I emailed her to inquire if they are pure and what the partridge is? She informed me that yes they are pure and the partridge is a color phase. What? Can someone explain this to me, as I have never heard of it before?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Pure Ameraucana?

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:00 pm

i suspect those are all mixes....not pure. yes, partridge is a "color pattern" but blue/black/splash and partridge will give mixes if bred together....partridge is not on the same e locus as BBS.
just my 2 cents from the genetics point of view.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 pm

Here are Standard of Perfection colours for Ameraucanas
http://ameraucana.org/Photos

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Thanks WLL and Ontario Chick. I don't understand why people can't just be honest. I ask a question and I expect to be given the truth. Hard to trust people like this. I was so excited when I saw Blue, Black, Splash and then my hopes faded when I read the Partridge Parents. What the hay? Here is a copy of my question and her answer.

"I need clarification if these are pure blue, black and splash chicks or crossed with another breed? What are the partridge?"

"Partridge is a colour phase. Yes, they are pure breed ameraucanas."

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:23 am

OK here is my take on it. They may very well be pure Ameraucana as opposed to Easter Eggers but NOT recognised colours? I have some Blue Columbian Whiny Dots and you won't find that colour in the APA but they are pure Wyandotte. They just can't go far in a show. I know nothing about Ameraucanas except for my 2 pure black ones lay gloriously BLUE eggs although even the blue egg colour has different shades, you can reference the egg colour chart.
My question to you is do you want show Ameraucanas? If so don't shop Kijiji. Even from a breeder you can't guarantee show quality.
DO you want some pretty eggs? Well maybe take a chance.
As for the honesty part, they may have been sold the line as pure and believe that. I also notice they are not claiming Show or Breeder quality birds.
In the end it's down to what you are comfortable with.
Oh and also I find my pure AMeraucana girls don't lay as well as my Easter Eggers especially now they are older.
Just my opinion.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 am

yeah, i too don't think it's someone not trying to be honest.....the ameraucana vs ee debate is ages old....people that show and some of us more obsessive breeders (yeah, i'm pointing a finger at me LOL) will say that crossing 2 colours of ameraucanas make them easter eggers because they do not breed true in subsequent generations. However, they are technically not crossed with something not ameraucana. but if going by SOP the crosses are not accepted because they are to breed true. partridge x partridge will always give partridge. where a BBS x partridge is going to give you messy colours/patterns because it's messed up the e locus and only in subsequent generations are you going to get back the proper homozygotic e locus. so. they'll likely lay beautiful eggs, and are perfectly good birds, but not showable and won't breed true. but for sure doesn't make them bad birds in any way shape or form.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 am

egg colours.jpg
So here are my egg colours from the bottom
Barnvelder cross they are actually darker than they look here
Olive egger
Green egger
True black ameraucana
True black ameraucana - note the different shade
A cross that lays a pinkish egg

Sorry just bragging here LOL!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

muffin57 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm
Thanks WLL and Ontario Chick. I don't understand why people can't just be honest. I ask a question and I expect to be given the truth. Hard to trust people like this. I was so excited when I saw Blue, Black, Splash and then my hopes faded when I read the Partridge Parents. What the hay? Here is a copy of my question and her answer.

"I need clarification if these are pure blue, black and splash chicks or crossed with another breed? What are the partridge?"

"Partridge is a colour phase. Yes, they are pure breed ameraucanas."
Most people aren't dishonest, they simply didn't educate themselves enough to know better.
The information that comes from other misinformed people on internet only makes things worse.
Simple answer your your question......" Partridge Is a color".

It's a lovely color just not accepted as a SOP color for Ameraucanas.
If you are hoping to purchase Show quality birds from a good breeder, Kijiji isn't the way to go.

If you are planning to breed Blue birds, start studying genetics of colours in poultry, it should take 3-5 years. :)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am
If you are planning to breed Blue birds, start studying genetics of colours in poultry, it should take 3-5 years. :)
:laugh:
Only that long. I just got a headache and asked questions of @WLLady and @Ontario Chick and I studied a bit of genetics at college!
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:33 am

i've been working in genetics for over 20 and chickens STILL give me headaches....especially when you breed light brown leghorns and get white splash something or anothers from a show line and have no clue how...even the predictions say not possible LOL mother nature at it's best!

Return to “Around the Waterer”