Good Morning! in 2018

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:23 pm

According to her, despite the fact he isn't religious. You have to remember she was Scottish too so a lot of religious unpleasantness. Also divorced!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm

my mom showed up yesterday with dinner. she knows i'm allergic to nuts. and dinner had cashews in it. maybe she's trying to tell me something.....?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:50 pm

WLLady wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm
my mom showed up yesterday with dinner. she knows i'm allergic to nuts. and dinner had cashews in it. maybe she's trying to tell me something.....?
Oh my!😱

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 am
Thank you SO much for the offer! No, not really, the twice daily chores are the main thing, and I think now I've got them covered. I'm just a worry wart, and was worried my critters wouldn't have enough food, or water, or some bull or pig would charge the electric fence and get loose, and there's be nobody here who could put it back. I think I've got it covered now, but I'm still lining up backup plans just in case LOL
BUT, if you just HAPPEN to coincidentally drive by my place, I'd appreciate it if you could roll your car windows down and let me know if you hear screams ;)

@Ontario Chick, we have considered using a service such as that. This time, it just wouldn't be possible. The main house is well occupied, and our granny flat, which we usually have rented out, is currently home to some unwelcome 6-legged german pests thanks to the daughter of its last occupant. The human Canadian pests moved out 3 weeks ago, but I'm still seeing the german ones over there, and until I'm sure that the six legged pests are completely eradicated from that apartment, and sure they haven't migrated into MY living space, I will not be inviting anyone, ANYONE, into my house.
I am ok with most bugs. But these particular ones must be killed with extreme predjudice. Once that is sorted out to my satisfaction, I may very well look at something like housecarers or a workaway program. Heaven knows we could use an extra set of hands.
LOL, okay, if I am in the general area, I will be sure to do a drive-by check. ;-)
As for the bug infestation, that's awful! I hope you are successful getting rid of them PDQ.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Good news??? Sure WE HAVE CHICKS HATCHING!!! 3 out with 31 more to go!

badnews??? a bald eagle just killed our last turkey hen. :-( we also lost one of our rabbits due to heat stroke! man they are in full shade all the time, i dont know how else to make them more comfortable?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Hey @thegawd , so sorry to hear about your turkey hen and rabbit troubles. :-(
I don't claim to know much about rabbits, and don't know what your watering system is for them, but is there a way you can add frozen water bottles to the source? Or maybe give them an ice pack to lean against? I got one of those flat ice packs for coolers from Dollarama way back when so that my hens could stand on it to cool off. Maybe that could work for bunnies too?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks Jaye! Lizzie did read up a bunch on the flemish giants and the heat....they are a huge rabbit and are unfortunately more prone to heat stroke than other breeds. like you suggested Lizze has already given them some frozen water bottles and ice in a water dish. she also cooled them down with a wet cloth. she said they really enjoyed it. we're pretty upset about loosing one of our girls though. she has these rabbits really tame from being handled a lot.

Well, I have 5 chicks out with many more pipped and zipping away! WOOOHOOOOO! were all pretty excited about this hatch! it just seems to be the most important hatch we have ever done! and well I guess it is because we're starting over!

we have some plants in the garden and some seeds starting to sprout. not as nice as 2 years ago but WAY better than last year!

Im so busy with work and all that I have to admit that none of this would be possible without Lizzie and the kids. she is doing 99% of the work with the kids help.

it hasn't rained here in a while, the last couple times it was supposed to it didn't. it was sooooo hot out today, the ground is soooo dry, the duck pond is pretty much dry. so were out watering the crap out of the garden staring at the dark sky to the north, Im just yelling at the sky, Lizzie and the kids are laughing at me. I say that I'm going to water the garden until it finally starts to rain. So we finish watering the garden and go inside for a drink. sit down and look outside.... its raining! pretty decent too. so we all head back outside to basically dance in the rain. I yelled "thank you" back up to the sky. it felt so good after such a hot day and I'm finally comfortable!

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am

Congratulations on your new babies, so sad about your rabbit and turkey hen.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Trying to weed the veggies and garlic and it's still dry despite the rain yesterday and previously.
So I'm staring at an incubator which will be empty tomorrow. I don't need any more birds BUT I have blue eggs from pure ameraucanas and green eggs from an easter egger. Daddy is a Light brahma X ameraucana and it would be so cool to see what comes out. Trying to resist.....
@Brebis these are the same blue and green eggs you got. Hope they were fertile.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm

I've heard that bald eagle is tasty. Oops, did I say that out loud? LOL So sorry to hear, @thegawd . What kind of chicks are you hatching?

Return to “Around the Waterer”