Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Poor Chance!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Both Penny and Wendyll got into a porcupine last year, Penny sat like a trooper while I pulled 18 quills out of her, Wendyll had double that and required a little more wrestling...he saw the pliers come out and had to be dragged out from under his chair. You'd think he would learn not to try to eat the porpucipe. I was eventually able to get most of them, but he had broken two off flush inside his mouth and I couldn't get a hold of them. He's a small dog, but mighty, so off he went to be sedated. It was his 5th or 6th run in, one of them was worse, over 50 quills. I really thought Penny would give me the most trouble, she's 80 lbs. and strong as an ox, but as long as I was quick, she just sat there and took it with a hang-dog look. I doubt it will be such an easy time next time though.
Good morning! Bronze turkeys hatching like popcorn, I think 8 are out now. I couldn't hold off anymore, I had the room so 25 chicken eggs went in yesterday ;) Now, hopefully, this batch of poults actually figures out how to eat. So adorable, but so dumb!
I'm putting eggs in the mail today, first time I've ever done that. I think I've got them wrapped pretty bombproof, but I'm still terrified they're going to be scrambled egg when they get there. Fingers crossed!

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 am

We'll, today is our first day with fresh milk and creme from my new little cow. Bryony is a sweet little 4 yr old dexter who has never been milked. She is sweet and gentle, until she sees a halter or lead rope, then all bets are off. Good thing she is smallish. I am definatly getting my excersize everyday training her, but fresh, raw milk is so worth it. I though that all I had gotten for Mother's Day was a Cow. I didn't realize it was acctually a free gym membership ;-)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed May 23, 2018 8:11 am

You got "pull" goat girl . Strip & squeeze . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am

Goatgal... Can I say that I'm completely jealous at this point... And not only that you have a cow giving you fresh milk but that it is a Dexter... Oh my God green with envy here :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am

Me too Tom. Bryony is a lovely name too. Went to school with a girl named Bryony.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 am

.... a cow named Bryony....
Killerbunny wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am
Me too Tom. Bryony is a lovely name too. Went to school with a girl named Bryony.
oh my! i had a dozen inappropriate jokes come to mind with that comment.

roflmbo
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 am

now now baron, remember this is a family-friendly forum.....LOL

lovely morning this morning! deer and turkeys all over our field! turkeys are trying to actively court my jennies, which is pretty funny to watch, they'll come up to the fence around the paddock and strut, and then give up after a while, or if the horse spooks them. neighbours texted me last night they had to dispatch a coon stumbling and walking in circles...yikes. looks like distemper going on around here again this year.
beautiful sunny day, the weather can stay just like this!!!! all year! i picked up a rose bush yesterday at a local nursery to replace one that could not survive the winter last year, got it planted. looks great. might go and pick up a few more! need to start weeding, the asparagus is being hidden by these dandelion wannabes-they look like dandilions but have thorns only on the stems...don't remember seeing them before, so likely came in with some mulch a couple years ago. but there's millions of them....got a bunch pulled yesterday while i was picking asparagus (yummy!). time to get the garden planted too! now that we're back from travelling. the cauliflower and broccoli are growing out of the greenhouse LOL. so that will happen this weekend too, and sprinklers to be set up. and i need to build a gate for the garden. the last one finally rotted through last night. next time i open it, it might be in pieces.

and this weekend (sunday) is the wyoming buy/sell/trade put on by the sarnia poultry and pigeon group! i can't wait! not sure what i'm taking up this year, but i'm sure i'll find some birds that can go, i only have an entire coop of grow out boys if anyone needs any! also taking some hatching eggs up to @thegawd . Hope to see a bunch of the local PTO members there (you know who you are!).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

Good morning!
Glad you are back from your travels safe and sound @WLLady and back to your garden/animal duties :)
Baron was right, the fox was back!!!
Finished edging around the whole run this morning, you would think the kind of noise the trimmer makes would keep any animal away, went in to take my boots off and was going to let the chickens out once I was back on "Chicken watch" should call it a "fox watch" I guess, and hear an "Alarm Chorus" from the barn at a very high pitch, so come out and the fox was just in front of the barn, but almost looked like it was heading away from the barn.
It must have waited until I went in to the house, and tried something, not really sure what, which alarmed the chickens, and once the Alarm was sounded it gave up??? Just shows what opportunists they are.
Starting to feel a bit paranoid now, because I think even when I sit in the chicken run with a pitchfork at the ready, it could be quietly steeling a hen behind my back.
Have a safe one! :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am

@Ontario Chick a .22LR and a gun course. then sniper from your deck/window.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”