Good Morning! <=2017

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

Good morning,
Started the day with a thunderstorm downpour and some hail, you would think in this heat, hail would melt before it hit the ground.
Time to put up netting so the little guys can go out, can't believe how late in the year we are doing that.
Another hen gone broody, third one in three weeks :( darn.
Tomatoes finally ripening all at once of course, beautiful large, 12 today just told DH he is getting 6 tomatoes for lunch ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 am

G Williams wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am
My friendly Barn cat was locked in the pickup for 24 hrs. last week. (luckily parked under a tree) Peed twice and pooed once. Thankfully on the vinyl floor and not the seats. I hosed down the floor and scrubbed with javex. Still stinks!
My cat that passed recently had failing kidneys so I've tried most everything on a concrete floor and a thick vinyl mat that was beneath the kitty litters. So far this product wins hands down
IMG_6123.JPG
The secret is to saturate and let it sit until almost dry then wipe up, spray again and sit again another hour or so. Then lots of rinsing.

I think I've come to a hard decision to re-home some chickens. I'm not willing to start separate pens to keep two roosters and everyone had got along FAIRLY well until recently. Then two Cochin hens molted (so don't want to have anything to do with the rooster) and the other Cochin hen is still mothering but the rooster started chasing her. Then he started chasing the old girls. They were fine with the occasional attention but not replacing his favorites so they started resisting. Someone's going to get hurt. I have had everyone separated for several days and it's much more enjoyable. It's the way I want things. This shouldn't feel like a job it should feel like a hobby. I will be sad to see some go because they really are pets to me and I've raised most of them from chicks but it's best for all of them.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am

Comes a time in life that ALL must leave the the roost . Easiest way is to not have roosters . Good luck man .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:22 am

Good morning!
Bit stormy on Monday, some hail again, it has been a peculiar summer to say the least.
Spent Wednesday babysitting a two year old grandson, it became very clear, that if you have children later in life and they have children later in life, you are entirely too old to babysit a two year old grandchild ;)
Apparently I need way more exercise then I have been getting, and since I find exercising mind-numbingly boring, got a grass trimmer to see if that would work.
Lovely crisp day, perfect for a bit of grass trimming / exercise. ;)
Have a sunny one!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:51 pm

I agree OC ...
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 am

Very funny that one of the 6 week old wyandotte boys decided it would be a good idea to take on DH! He was putting them away for the night and this tiny rooster was biting him like crazy LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 am
Very funny that one of the 6 week old wyandotte boys decided it would be a good idea to take on DH! He was putting them away for the night and this tiny rooster was biting him like crazy LOL!
That guy didn't get the memo that his best best chance is playing the "sweet" card!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:01 am

Good morning!
Found an intact, very thin shelled egg in a BSL nesting box this morning. I suppose it happens now and then with the hens being finicky with how they get their calcium. Glad I found it before the next incoming hen did!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am

Hi everyone! Finally back home after almost 2 weeks of craziness. Martins daughter arrived safe and sound...and has been touring around with us for the last 10 days. Out to montreal and then they went to PEI while I travelled down to vermont to meet my Dad's oncology team and sat with him through CTs and blood taking and another round of chemotherapy....he is doing better than expected, but it is still rough. A few days ago the hair loss started again...having just grown back in after the first rounds of treatment. They have a fixer upper house in vermont, cute place on top of a very large hill lol. Will be a challenge in the winter with the snow removal, so gave advice on tractors (aka hire someone to plow!!!). Then back another 400 miles to montreal for another 2 days and meet back up with martin and his dauhter and then the crazy drive back home. Not quite enough time to flake out and totally relax in vacation mode....now a few days before back to work for me. Just laying low, doing physio to try to get back in working order. Driving in a car that much is tough, very sore the last couple of days. But hopefully i can do some swimming today and finish up the impromptu ketchup making with the bushels of tomatoes in the garden! I will get that canned later tonight. Horses getting trimmed today at some point and hubby and daughter are in London-shopping trip lol i think theyre off to toronto tomorrow, then she flies out on friday evening. I think.....i have tons of garden things to do, digging potatoes and cleaning up, taking out the beans and cleaning up the old cucumbers and squahd plants that have succumbed to bugs since i left. Need to sweep out the barn and get things cleaned up a bit...apparently the turkeys got out while we were gone and rampaged in the barn....so lots of things knocked over and feathers everywhere....stuff knocked off shelves etc. The people looking after the place had problems...when i asked they said they were trying to catch them, instead of just herding them so there was flying and jumping...too bad i turned the cameras off. Lol could have been entertaining. Need to water plants and replant the patio pots with some fall plants....sweep the patio etc. Small stuff, puttery stuff. Very nice to be home.
I did do some canoeing one day up at the lake near montreal. Glad to say my balance is much better than it was!! No surprise swimming. Had fish for dinner one night-martin and his daughter caught some good sized smallmouth bass. Yum. But the lake water was soooo cold! And then the day we went to vermont the nearest town (lachute) got runover by a tornado!! They never have tornados there!! Surprise....
need to go and take a look at my grow outs. They were looking good when i left and they sure grew while i was gone! I think i have some decent silver welbars coming up...girls anyways....and a few gold welbars and some other birds. Figure out who to keep....good slow job for later this afternoon. Looks like the grass needs cutting again too.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Well summer vacation pretty much over... going into school on my own time for a few hours tomorrow, then mandatory meetings at school on Friday, then classes start back Tuesday, just I better figure out what I am teaching the first week. As usual I think my to do list is longer now at then end of summer than it was when I started summer holidays 2 months ago. Some year I will actually catch up on my to do list. Well time to get back at my list of stuff.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”