Two-tone egg

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Two-tone egg

Post by KimChick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:03 am

Not sure where else to post this question, as the Health Forum is locked. I found an egg on the floor of the coop right by the nesting box crate. It probably fell out as a hen was moving a couple of eggs. The egg is two-tone, light and beige, like there is a light shining on it. Does anyone know why this happens?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Two-tone egg

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:14 am

Totally normal. It just missed part of the coating of colour which is on the way out.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Two-tone egg

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 am

The Health Forum is open for business, only the example chart is locked.
I think Poultry admin. got a whole pile of new stickers to play with, so it just looks a bit confusing. ;)
Feel free to post there!

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Two-tone egg

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:39 pm

KimChick wrote:QR_BBPOST as the Health Forum is locked
As OC mentioned, the health forum is open. So post away by clicking "New Topic". That is the Health with the penguin next to it.
If you by chance managed to find the "Health" inside the "Fowl Facts", that one is locked. I am moving select posts from the forum to the "fowl facts" every few months (and always old topics that are not discussed anymore) as a way to archive them.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Two-tone egg

Post by KimChick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am

poultry_admin wrote:QR_BBPOST
KimChick wrote:QR_BBPOST as the Health Forum is locked
As OC mentioned, the health forum is open. So post away by clicking "New Topic". That is the Health with the penguin next to it.
If you by chance managed to find the "Health" inside the "Fowl Facts", that one is locked. I am moving select posts from the forum to the "fowl facts" every few months (and always old topics that are not discussed anymore) as a way to archive them.
It says "Locked" on my screen.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Two-tone egg

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:53 am

which one? The one with penguin or the one without?
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Two-tone egg

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 am

http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=14

KimChick-this is the link....if you get an error please take a screen shot and pm it to either me or poultry_admin and we'll figure it out. i've checked all your settings etc...you should have access.

Re 2 toned eggs....i have one girl that lays those eggs too! dark on the ends and light with spots in the middle LOL. i think it's the egg changing speed as it's being "painted" on the way down the tract. faster=less "paint" (the brown is a pigment that is deposited onto the egg like paint), slower = more paint.....i checked my fridge, i don't have one of her eggs right now, was hoping to take a photo and share it, but it must have gone out with an order this week.....she doesn't lay often, one of my older girls, but she's done it since her first day laying!
perfectly normal for some chickens. :-)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Two-tone egg

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:51 am

The only one that's locked is the "Egg Shell Chart summary",
so perhaps KimChick was trying to post in there, rather then in the general Health Topic?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Two-tone egg

Post by KimChick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:42 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=14

KimChick-this is the link....if you get an error please take a screen shot and pm it to either me or poultry_admin and we'll figure it out. i've checked all your settings etc...you should have access.

Re 2 toned eggs....i have one girl that lays those eggs too! dark on the ends and light with spots in the middle LOL. i think it's the egg changing speed as it's being "painted" on the way down the tract. faster=less "paint" (the brown is a pigment that is deposited onto the egg like paint), slower = more paint.....i checked my fridge, i don't have one of her eggs right now, was hoping to take a photo and share it, but it must have gone out with an order this week.....she doesn't lay often, one of my older girls, but she's done it since her first day laying!
perfectly normal for some chickens. :-)
Thanks.
I can post a new topic via your link, but when I use the PTO Index, the whole Fowl Facts is locked, and I cannot post a new topic on any of the four forums.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Two-tone egg

Post by KimChick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:45 pm

KimChick wrote:QR_BBPOST Not sure where else to post this question, as the Health Forum is locked. I found an egg on the floor of the coop right by the nesting box crate. It probably fell out as a hen was moving a couple of eggs. The egg is two-tone, light and beige, like there is a light shining on it. Does anyone know why this happens?
As it turns out, husband had the egg for breakfast and said that the shell was hard but very thin.

Return to “Around the Waterer”