Good Morning! <=2017

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:55 am

We didn't get any rain yesterday after the brief bit in the early morning. thunder and lightning all over the place and no rain. just a couple of blocks away got 3.5 INCHES!!!! yes, inches. they had a waterfall down their steps!
got a lot of weeding done in the garden yesterday, there's not a lot of weeds, but whats in there grew fast in the hot while i was away a couple weeks ago. Tons of pumpkins! and hubbard squash, acorn squash, butternuts, and zucchini. Beans are all to the freezer now, except a few plants that a friend of mine is going to come and pick to make some pickled/canned beans. Sprayed around the BTK and have little black corpses of tobacco hornworms on the tomatoes now. I love that stuff! my sweet corn is days away from ready YAY! the first year EVER able to grow sweet corn in the garden! and my indian corn is finally putting up ears. yay! need to dig some potatoes. then make the plot for the incoming fall garlic. yum. this years garlic is absolutely wonderful! and i need to dig up my recipe for zucchini relish...almost out of relish and have lots of zucchini so why not!
Started fencing yesterday, got the posts in for the "new" fence from the "new" barn extending it over to where the gate is, past where the old run in was. The fence used to terminate at the run in, but now that that barn is gone and the driveshed is gone we need to put fence all the way over. Putting in a tractor gate....so posts went in last night just before dark, and today i'll put the connectors/tape etc up. Hopefully i don't end up my la_chicken's skunk! i'll try to remember to unplug the fencer first....LOL. Not much else planned for the day. Might have company, might not....not quite sure yet. Need to separate and move munchkins around-they're ranging from 14 weeks to 9 weeks old, keeping all the girls and about 4 of the boys....rest will stay outside for growing out. also need to be moving stuff around the barn, want to put some shelves in downstairs for things like horse hoof paint etc, stuff that is just hanging out on the floor on in a basket right now. so lots of things on the go. should really just sit here and drink some tea LOL.
hope everyone has an awesome day!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Good Morning!

Post by shaded » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:26 am

Good morning!
We got prob 1/2 inch rain some time during the night but all it did was leave little puddles in leaves in the yard for the wild birds and my bees to drink from (I leave lots of water out for bees but saw some wild ones today). The ground is bone dry under the leaves. Hubby left truck window open and there is no water on the seat.
Refilled all the hummingbird feeders-they're suffering too.
WWLady, you are too busy for me it seems this summer-bit burnt out from work. I gave up on garden between work and puppies/dogs and thoroughly disappointed that I didn't get a squash growing in the compost this year-that was the easy garden!
kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Beautiful girl! Persephone
yes just hope she grows into those ears lol.
Hoping Sandy posts more pics of her little baby if she's feeling better!
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Maximus

Good Morning!

Post by Maximus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 am

shaded wrote:QR_BBPOST Good morning!
We got prob 1/2 inch rain some time during the night but all it did was leave little puddles in leaves in the yard for the wild birds and my bees to drink from (I leave lots of water out for bees but saw some wild ones today). The ground is bone dry under the leaves.
Refilled all the hummingbird feeders-they're suffering too.
kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Beautiful girl! Persephone
yes just hope she grows into those ears lol.
Hoping Sandy posts more pics of her little baby if she's feeling better!
Congrats to our first PTO photo winner.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm getting there. I have lots of pics and videos of Ava but just don't have the energy to upload (transfer from phone to iPad etc) and really it seems like a whole lot of work lol. I have some new ones up on Facebook, Josh put up for me the last couple of days. My niece in BC is obsessed with Ava and she'll message me, Au tie Sandy I need a new picture or video. She'll be here in a few weeks so Ava will have lots of TLC.

Bit of a drop in potassium levels this morning so home on a few potassium pills and back in tomorrow morning to check levels again. Doesn't make sense to me. Yesterday I drank orange/mango juice and had potatoes (with the skin) and broccoli for dinner. Scrambled eggs for breakfast and a nap for lunch hahah. And of course 2 banana's. I'm still a bit barfy-tendency. Could easily toss my cookies with the right scent (like meat cooking) or visual. I tell ya, if you ever don't feel well for more than 3 days, don't leave it. This recovery time is a total pain in the butt. Wednesday I'm at family doctor so we'll see what he thinks.

What is with dogs and wanting to eat chicken crap? Ava thinks it's fine dining and it's really quite nasty. I'm working on her 'off' but with the lack of rain the chicken poop definitely is accumulating in the grass etc. She likely thinks her name is 'off'.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I'm hoping to muster up some energy and go for a walk at the lake later after dinner.

Cheers!!!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 am

Good morning!
Stil bone dry here, it's actually dusty weeding the garden, and that is with watering every 3-4 days.
Tomatos and cukes seem happy the rest is pitiful, swiss chard and lettuce is going to the chickens in lieu of grass.
Put up netting over chick run, so they can go outside, and although I promised myself I will not try to figure out how many pullets until next week, I might have lied.
HEY, I just typed over a VERY cute picture!!!!!!
Have a relaxing day !

Maximus

Good Morning!

Post by Maximus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 am

Bayvistafarm wrote:QR_BBPOST
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Glad to hear you're on the mend Sandy!
BVF I don't think you have to charge HST if you make less than ?20K? but then you can't claim any back either. I think it was done so very small businesses didn't have to deal with the hassle.
Ya, we both farm full time. Soooo sometimes we make well over 250K. But... wait for it.... we spend sometimes OVER that. Hard to believe. Its always nearly about even. Quite honestly, I don't know WHY we farm.
We'd be in a lot of trouble if dedicated folks like you and Gary didn't farm. The system is broken and not enough people care or even know how much it sucks. It's a mess BVF, and the only ones who can fix it is the consumers. Do you want to tell them or should I? :(

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Good Morning!

Post by ross » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:18 am

I feel I do my part for local farmers by not having a large garden just 2 pots of tomatoe plant & 2 pots of peppers for daily consumption in season . As far as rest I like most buy on price at super market or roadside stands if comparabley priced . All comes down to costs . Just like some folks buy poultry eguipment on line in states cause cheaper Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:28 am

Unfortunately our "Farmers" markets often buy direct from Foodland Ontario and transport it. Our local berry farm which everyone raves about sprays so much pesticide I won't eat their produce. You can even smell it on the wind sometimes. We grow our own as much as we can.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Good Morning!

Post by ross » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:53 am

Yep KB that's a fact but not everyone has the knowledge , time or ability or want to do , so have to buy what is offered & can , in their mind , afford . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

funniest thing i saw driving back from quebec. One of the service centers on the 401 was advertising "local farmers market today". we needed to stop anyways, and it was one little tent, with proudly brought to you by loblaws signs...LOL. i got a kick out of that. and i seriously doubt the 2 ladies running the show had ever mucked a stall or been in a garden....but oh well. at least it was real fruit and vegetables-it said local, but given they were selling apples in july i'm not sure just HOW local....at a service center LOL.
Ironically that was the same service center that we left VERY quickly from because the people in the car beside us decided it was a good idea to pick lice from their daughter's hair and throw them onto the pavement in the parking lot. seriously??!

sandy, if you are throwing up still you will have a hard time with your potassium levels-thats the fastest way to remove potassium from your body. if you can find out why you are nauseous...or maybe get some gravol or something to help calm your stomach. i still think you need testing for food poisoning or salmonella type stuff. it's a bit of a vicious circle too, potassium pills will irritate your stomach...and that's already irritated....i sure hope you are feeling better soon!

well fencing is done....glad that is finished. guess there's still metal clips and nails and stuff to pick up given that i put a construction staple into the bottom of my shoe....thankfully it didn't come through, but no way am i letting horses or the tractor through there yet!!!!

i feel almost guilty writing over the momma and baby in the picture....congrats KB!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks for the congrats folks. That's my NJ (Nearly Junior) with one of her sisters chicks that she hatched! Thanks to Kyle for the eggs
A little very light rain this am but now looking sunny, oh well!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”