Turner motor for Hovabator

Have a novel idea for a piece of equipment? Or a re-purpose of an old piece of equipment?
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Turner motor for Hovabator

Post by Robbie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:57 am

There are AC and DC motors, there is a big price difference.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 am

Robbie wrote:There are AC and DC motors, there is a big price difference.
True. The "normal" replacement turner motor for the Hovabator is an AC motor, $10 US from Incubator Warehouse. I also have the DC Turner motor designed for the Incubator Warehouse Incukit, also $10US, but I have not used that motor yet.

Robbie, you have the Incukit did you use the turner motor that connects to it? Any good.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

This is the one I am looking to replace.
Incubator turner motor.jpg
Incubator turner motor.jpg (27.25 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

This is the one from Incubator warehouse, only has a two-prong plug
Incukit.jpg
Incukit.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:13 am

JimW wrote:
Robbie wrote:There are AC and DC motors, there is a big price difference.
True. The "normal" replacement turner motor for the Hovabator is an AC motor, $10 US from Incubator Warehouse. I also have the DC Turner motor designed for the Incubator Warehouse Incukit, also $10US, but I have not used that motor yet.

Robbie, you have the Incukit did you use the turner motor that connects to it? Any good.

JimW

sorry my mistake, I confused the cabinet motors with the smaller ones. The cabinet motors are about 4x the price of the smaller ones, ac or dc. Oops.

I did connect the little dc motor to the incukit. It was a pain in the *ss , the motor wire leads were just way too short for a DIY turner (Not sure how they attach to the real thing so they might be long enough for that ) so I had to lengthen them. The actual connector ports to the incukit did not hold the wires well, or perhaps I didn't figure out how to attach them properly- they fell out easily. The motor worked fine.
My incukit was a failure for the set up I had. It reliably shut itself off, most likely due to overheating, around the 12-14th day of incubation. They sent me a new transformer (I told them about this problem, they thought it was a faulty transformer) which I could not unplug, and when I pulled too hard to disconnect ripped the whole attachment out. If I was to do it again I'd go with the AC incukit. The dc incukit is possibly fine for a tiny very well insulated incubator.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:This is the one I am looking to replace.
Incubator turner motor.jpg

This is the one from Incubator warehouse, only has a two-prong plug
Incukit.jpg
The 2 prong plug motor from Incubator Warehouse works fine with the Hovabator turner. I used one to replace my Hovabator motor last spring, worked fine for 3 hatches so far.

OC, if you want I can sell you the extra motor I have from Incubator Warehouse I have that has not been used for whatever price it will cost me to order a new one from the US and have it shipped to my US mailbox. Then I can just order another one from the US and pick it up next time I go over the boarder.

JimW
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you for your offer Jim, I don't really want to create any extra work for you, and I guess now is not the time to be ordering anything from US with the Can$ where it is.
I will not be hatching until April, May, so plenty of time to waffle on the final decision.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:32 pm

OC keep waffling, My feeling is that oil prices are on the way up and the CDN $$ will be worth a bit more in the spring.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 pm

No problem OC just let me know if you want it. I have to order a few other things from the US, still a lot cheaper even with our crap dollar, so I will have to make a trip over the boarder probably sometime in early March. I checked the motor is $10US, shipping to my US mailbox about $5US, so $15US, even with our low dollar still not too bad a price.

It would be nice if our dollar went up a bit, but some people predicting oil will hit $20Us and our dollar with drop to 59 cents US.
Black & Blue Poultry

Return to “Building Projects for Equipment”