Question DIY Incubator Kit

Have a novel idea for a piece of equipment? Or a re-purpose of an old piece of equipment?
C Chamberlain
Newly Hatched Chick

DIY Incubator Kit

Post by C Chamberlain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 am

I have used the Little Giant incubator with the egg turner. Hatch rate wasn't bad, but I didn't like the quality of the styrofoam box, and humidity was a problem.

I have had my eye on an 1502 Sportsman, but I don't really have a super high volume to hatch to justify the price.

I seen on www.incubatorwarehouse.com that they have a kit to build a cabinet incubator. (convert a refrigerator/bar fridge/wine cooler)

The IncuKit includes the following:
• Electronic Pre-Set thermostat designed specifically for incubators
• Each heater and fan module includes a high-output 120mm AC fan with protective screen, an integrated 125 watt heater with built-in safety thermal switch and mounting plate
• All mounting hardware
• Installation and operating instructions
Just mount the heater and fan module, mount the thermostat, connect them together and then plug it in. It's so easy!!

• Option of an Advanced Thermostat module: This is a proportional thermostat. As the temperature gets closer to the target temperature, it begins tapering off the power to the heater. This provides more precise control and provides lower temperature variation in the incubator. This unit also has a count-down hatch timer and provides the option to control an egg turner motor, if you choose to use one. This comes pre-set to 99.5 degrees F

• The number of heater and fan modules will be determined by the size of your container, how well it is insulated and the temperature outside the incubator. The IncuKit XL™ can be configured with one or two heater and fan modules

I was thinking if one just purchased the egg turner motor (it clicks onto the Thermostat module) and bought the egg turning tray from Little Giant or HovaBator I'd have a pretty solid little incubator.

About the only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make a door with a window.

Going this route would really be a big savings, plus have a use for the refrigerator. Anyone have any experience with making their own incubators? A friend said they had better luck with their homemade styrofoam incubator than the Little Giant they purchased with the egg turner.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: DIY Incubator Kit

Post by thegawd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am

I build everything but I haven't used this kit. Check out the building project's or equipment section... all my builds at there. Cabinet 90 egg incubator, a 2 drawer hatcher, incubation notes which is an excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of the incubation process but more importantly to calibrate the incubator, there's a drum plucker and probably some more things. Also check out the coop section lots of home built stuff there!

Have fun!!!

P.s..... I'm going to move this thread to the building projects page.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

C Chamberlain
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by C Chamberlain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks...I'll check that out

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 pm

The Hovabator turner comes with an attached motor.

C Chamberlain
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by C Chamberlain » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks Shnookie. I hadn't noticed that.

Return to “Building Projects for Equipment”