Nest boxes

Have a novel idea for a piece of equipment? Or a re-purpose of an old piece of equipment?
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Nest boxes

Post by ross » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:06 am

We're the curtains frilly, fancy ?
Nice avatar gone country .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:13 am

SandyM wrote:
Robbie wrote:My nest boxes are due for a re-build and I do plan to put curtains on them. Right now mine have very tall sides and fronts and the hens seem to like hunkering down in them.

Pictures!!!

They are just deep totes stuffed with straw, nothing fancy. I'm not that thrilled with how they are set up but I don't want to change anything now, chickens hate change.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Chick-a-roo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chick-a-roo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 am

Yes, the Chicken Chick Promotes the use of curtains. But she also uses a veterinarian for pretty much every single sickly bird she has. They are more pets than livestock. Not that there's anything g wrong with that, but she goes above and beyond for her flock.
I don't disagree with the curtain idea as chickens do prefer to naturally lay in dark places... But... Not sure I would go the distance as to get pretty frilly things for them that would need to be washed every other week because we know poop flies EVERYWHERE and it's difficult enough to keep a tidy coop!!
:rooster66: BOCK! BOCK! BOCK!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:17 am

I tried curtains on my nest boxes. The girls didn't like them. They laid their eggs on the coop floor until I removed them, then went back to using the nest boxes again.
My nest boxes don't get any direct sunlight, so I guess they are dark enough for them, as is.
I agree with chick-a-roo: they get dirty in a hurry, and who needs more chores than necessary.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:23 am

Your new nest boxes are great and I too love the stencil. I just use apple crates, we have a crap load! I like the idea of recycling them....and well the fact that they take no effort to build.
Attachments
P6280587.JPG

Return to “Building Projects for Equipment”