Electric Poultry Netting

Have a novel idea for a piece of equipment? Or a re-purpose of an old piece of equipment?
Brian C
Newly Hatched Chick

Electric Poultry Netting

Post by Brian C » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:51 am

I was just wondering if people who use electric poultry netting are satisfied with the results as far as curbing predation problems? We have foxes in our area at this time and we are trying to find a way to keep them out of our poultry yards ( they wiped out our guinea flock ). Thanks

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Electric Poultry Netting

Post by Brian » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:48 pm

It won't duo much for predators. Foxes and Coyote will jump right over it. Weasels will go under it. It might keep our skunks and raccoons. Only thing that will stop Foxes are dogs and guns. Lock things up at night and keep an eye on them in the day time.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Our coyotes do a good job with the foxes.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 am

I tried netting for a bit and abandoned it as my muscovies kept getting talons and legs caught, so i have little experience with predator deterrence...As I understand it, electric poultry netting is mostly to keep the chickens IN, and doesn't have enough charge to keep furred varmints OUT, especially if not totally enclosed by the netting. A fox can and will jump a 4-5 foot fence easily, and jump back out with chicken in jaws. Coyote can go higher, and raccoons are smart enough to ground it out and climb or go under. Weasels will walk through as if it wasn't even there. Unless you net in the top, Coopers hawks may pick off one or three. Maybe better to use multi-strand electric fence or build runs from hardware cloth or weld-wire panels

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 am

This is why a site like PTO is so valuable, I was thinking about trying netting, I thought it would protect them during the day while I was at work, now I see not. I halted my plans to buy some last summer because a guy near me who sells eggs had a problem with raccoons figuring out how to get into his coops at night by shorting the fences and he also gave up raising sheep because coyotes were jumping over. I wondered if he was just being sloppy but it sounds like this is common.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Electric Poultry Netting

Post by la-chicken » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:44 pm

I use Poultry netting as a secondary fence.
Perimeter fence is wire and bull boards with electric on top an bottom. 2.0 J minimum
Poultry netting inside the perimeter fence. 1.0 - 1.5 J of electricity for the poultry netting. I do not want anything touching it. They must get a full on zap! Most problems with poultry netting is people use solar. NOT strong enough!
I lock up birds in a Pasture House each night that are with in the poultry netting.
I have coyote, fox, skunk, bear and cougars. No racoons where I live.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Electric Poultry Netting

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:11 am

My birds are shut in at night. I use the electric poultry netting to protect the vegetable gardens from the chickens1
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Building Projects for Equipment”