Barn Fan - Help!

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Sorry OC I was confused . Sucking dust out at bedding time only & ventilation for air improvement for livestock or people are 2 different things . If your only using to remove dust at bedding time just stick in window of barn & suck out dust or at barn door outside like yu see fire crews drawing smoke out of bldgs. If your looking to bring fresh air in & stale air out on a regular basis that's totally different . .think I misunderstood I'm talking bldg ventilation your talking short term dust removal . Your hook up should work . Luck
Too many windows to move fan around - elderly person here, just want Good air in Bad air out........
In general terms the quality of air in the barn is pretty good and in the summer all the windows on the west facing 35' wall get taken out, so there are screens only, but even with the dutch door tops open I can't get the air moving enough to make a difference in the dust department.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by WLLady » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 pm

The fan martin mentioned works awesome for dust removal for me...its overpowered for the space but when i do pens i open up the far end doors and turn on the fan and its clear in well i dont think its even 3 minutes....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:06 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST The fan martin mentioned works awesome for dust removal for me...its overpowered for the space but when i do pens i open up the far end doors and turn on the fan and its clear in well i dont think its even 3 minutes....
I want to like this 3x .......Thank you

WLLady

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:00 am

a couple things about that fan. it's NOISY. you will need an electrically inclined person to install it so that it turns on with a switch of some kind. did i mention it's loud? but it moves air like mad! the housing also seems to not mind the dust, but i do shopvac it every so often just to make sure that the dust isn't building up. the housing also gets a bit warm, but not unexpectedly warm....so don't put things snugged right up to it. and that's only warm because it's running at high rpm. the louvers on the front seem to get opened occassionally in the wind, and sometimes will stick on each other, but i attribute this to the fact that my barn is "leaky" and has really awesome ventilation, so the wind can actually suck the louvers open. if your barn was more airtight it probably wouldn't happen. the other modification that i am going to make, because i also use mine for cooling in the summer to draw the hot air out of the peak of the barn, is i'm going to get a timer switch installed, so it will automatically come on when the inside of the barn is 20C. i have the timer, it can be overridden so i can turn it off and on manually as well, just need to get it installed sometime. it's a work horse, and it has been awesome for me.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks again Kathy, I read the posts to DH, pointing out the differences in how men and women see things.
Martins post, great fan 1/3 HP 20" works well.
Kathy, a bit noisy and possibly a bit too much for what we need.
So with your help I think I narrowed it down to 1/4 HP 12" fan.
DH asures me he can instal it with a dedicated switch.
Now all I have to do is compare TSC and Princess Auto offerings, but for that I will have to go sit in my neighborhood library, to compare the specifications.

WLLady

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:47 pm

I will save you the time. Princess auto. Lol

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 am

The TSC fan is $ 239
Fan Tsc .jpg
Fan Tsc .jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
The princess Auto is $ 279
Fan princes.jpg
Fan princes.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Both are 12" 1/4 HP 115v , there isn't as much info on the specifications on TSC but as far as I can tell more or less the same?
Can anybody see a difference? Is there a difference?
If one is better then the other, I don't mind paying more, but is it?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by ross » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 pm

You can't beat the Princess Auto one (Canfarm) for guality & dependability . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by WLLady » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Canfarm all the way.....quite honestly.

siberienz
Newly Hatched Chick

Barn Fan - Help!

Post by siberienz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm

the TSC fan is also Canarm model number S12-E1

I think the TSC and Princess auto that you looked up are the same fan, just different price

the pricess auto listing does not show the manufacturer or model number, but the spec matches the canarm literature exactly, that is why I think they are the exact same fan at different prices.

I could be wrong tho
Mille Fleur Belgian d'Uccles, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Aylesbury Ducks, and various sexlinks

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”