New Breeder Coops

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

New Breeder Coops

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:45 am

So since I downsized my number of birds during the winter and several friends are still looking after some of my birds, since my surgery, I figured it was a good time to build some new coops. I started a bit in the fall before my heart surgery and just got back to doing a little building an hour or two a day this week.

The pen I am working on now will have a 4 ft x 4 ft x 3 ft tall coop on one end, which is raised 30" off the ground. The 4x4 coop with have a 4 ft x 8 ft, two level attached covered run that the birds can access 24/7. One the one end it will have an external 2-hole nest box. I bought some cheap foam insulation in the Fall so I will use that to insulate the walls. The outside of the coop will be 3/8" plywood sealed and stained. The inside will be covered in painted metal sheets, that I bought cheap last Fall as well.

I am building it in sections, which will then be carried out back to my poultry area, once I get some physical labour help to lift and carry the pieces.

Today I worked on sheathing, shingling and installing a ridge vent on the roof, with a bit of help from my teen daughter.
coop roof.jpg
coop roof 2.jpg
More updates as work progresses.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Re: New Breeder Coops

Post by ross » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:03 am

Lookin good Jim . Watch the foam man , poultry like to eat .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:10 pm

@ross thanks for the reminder. All good though no access to the foam, all sealed up between plywood and sheet metal.

Here is the inside of the one coop wall with the attached external nest box. Painted sheet metal on the inside.
nestbox wall.jpg
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Look well made Jim 👍🤠🐴
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”