Question I just inherited 7 chickens.....

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Sheri and jon
Newly Hatched Chick

I just inherited 7 chickens.....

Post by Sheri and jon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:41 pm

:run: I just inherited 7 chickens and and a small flock of bantams. I put the chicken in with our guineas will they kill each other?? I didnt have any notice so I haven't built a coop for them yet.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: I just inherited 7 chickens.....

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 pm

OK so I wouldn't put hem in with the guineas. I found this on Feathersite
"Do not confine male guineas with chickens if there are roosters in the same flock. If the birds have free range during the day it's OK to keep them in the same coop at night, and even for a while if they're confined because of a blizzard or something, but the male guineas will run the roosters ragged and keep them from food and water. I lost my first 2 favorite roosters this way until I learned what was going on. Female guineas do not cause the same problems. "
I have 2 guineas 1M 1F and when I put them in with one of my Tom turkeys he was terrified, they just attacked him. Even now they are out in the paddock they attack him through the dog pen wire.
Best of luck with your chickens and enjoy.
BTW - Welcome.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Sheri and jon
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Sheri and jon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 pm
OK so I wouldn't put hem in with the guineas. I found this on Feathersite
"Do not confine male guineas with chickens if there are roosters in the same flock. If the birds have free range during the day it's OK to keep them in the same coop at night, and even for a while if they're confined because of a blizzard or something, but the male guineas will run the roosters ragged and keep them from food and water. I lost my first 2 favorite roosters this way until I learned what was going on. Female guineas do not cause the same problems. "
I have 2 guineas 1M 1F and when I put them in with one of my Tom turkeys he was terrified, they just attacked him. Even now they are out in the paddock they attack him through the dog pen wire.
Best of luck with your chickens and enjoy.
BTW - Welcome.
I dont have any roosters...just hens. My guineas however, I have no idea if they are male or female.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:48 am

Well just try and see what happens. We have a few people with guineas on the site too so I hope they'll chime in.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 am

Hiya

I had guineas. i had chickens. the guineas started ganging up on the chickens and managed to corner and kill 3 before i could catch them. that was a couple years ago now. with that said, i have guineas again hatched this spring. and i still have chickens. they've grown up together since hatching and they are inseparable. BUT they aren't breeding age yet. last time i did this they were perfect together until the males hit breeding age and then they started picking on the chickens. and not just the cockerels...but the pullets too. so i had to separate them, and then the guinea hens wanted back with the chickens and the guinea boys were trying to kill the chickens, then the hens ended up with the turkeys....sigh. i wouldn't house them together, guineas can get mean....
i'm only going to keep one female and one male this time and see if it's any better. they all escaped while i was cleaning pens, and 4 days later they all found their way back to their pullet and cockerel pen mates so i have no clue how this is going to turn out. but i watch every day for picking on the chickens and the instant they start they'll be separated!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:01 pm

I just had female guineas and they got along fine with my chickens till I got a male guinea. He was brought up with the chickens but once he got to breeding age he was nasty to all the chickens but especially the rooster. Hopefully you will do ok, have to wait and see how many male guinea you have.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 pm

I had guineas & chickens together....never again!
I would hear the chickens screaming, run into the coop & found them cowering in corners
The guineas would terrorize them & run @ them while they were cornered.
Had to separate them...the chickens were scared for the rest of their life.
They never got over the trauma & would run & scream over Any thing
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”