1943 Chicken (Fold) Tractor

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:13 am

This is a re-post. I posted it on PSO in 2014 and thought it deserved to be seen again. I figured out how the moving gear works, if anyone is interested.

Modern Farming; Agriculture in Britain, 1943. Edward Raines, poultryman on a Hampshire farm, moves a poultry fold into line with the others in the field. Each of these chicken ‘sheds’ contains 25 birds. They are moved their length every day, providing fresh ground for the hens to feed on and also making sure that the chicken manure is spread across the whole field. According to the original caption: “the folds are portable and, with the aid of simple, wheeled moving-gear, are easily moved”. Photo: Ministry of Information Second World War Official Collection.
1943 chicken tractor.png
Andy :egg:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:17 am

I should make some of those for growing out chicks. I have the perfect field for them! so do tell about this gear...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 am

Fabulous, Thanks for posting Andy!
Yet again we are rediscovering the wheel :)
If I had a flat piece of ground I would be all over that. :)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am

Hhmmm... Gotta check my book collection...
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 am

Large family dairy farm down road do meat birds like that but the top is flat , then keep some forself & sell rest as organic .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:41 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I should make some of those for growing out chicks. I have the perfect field for them! so do tell about this gear...
1943 tractor LIFTING.png
1943 tractor LIFTING2.jpg
Andy :egg:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:05 am

Looking at this again: i think the "holding board" item 3 in the top pic is on a hinge so that it can be mounted lower locking the wheels up so one person can move it easily.

This design would also limit the outside view so birds aren't alarmed by overhead birds and land predators: especially foxes (or in my case; pugs).
This would also be suitable in a wet environment like Britain so birds (and the land they are standing on) stay dry. It might also work well 12 months per year. And given that they are heavy windy storms wouldn't knock them over.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Army
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Army » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Large family dairy farm down road do meat birds like that but the top is flat , then keep some forself & sell rest as organic .
baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Looking at this again: i think the "holding board" item 3 in the top pic is on a hinge so that it can be mounted lower locking the wheels up so one person can move it easily.

This design would also limit the outside view so birds aren't alarmed by overhead birds and land predators: especially foxes (or in my case; pugs).
This would also be suitable in a wet environment like Britain so birds (and the land they are standing on) stay dry. It might also work well 12 months per year. And given that they are heavy windy storms wouldn't knock them over.
I was looking at this and I think a large portion of the "top" is actually flat and they would be able to see overhead birds.
It's only the enclosed section at the right hand side that's peaked and not flat.
It would be easy to add panels - maybe sliding - to the flat part of the roof. Close for rain. Open for sun?

Either way, it's a terrific design and shows that this idea has been around for at least 70 years.
ImageLight Sussex, Buff/Blue Orpington, Bielefelder
ImageWheaton Marans
ImageAracana
ImageCream Legbar
ImageBreda

Dutch lady
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: 1943 Chicken (Fold) Tractor

Post by Dutch lady » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am

This is a really cool contraption. I have used a smaller creation that I move with handles one side then the other. I find that the birds are healthiest when they have fresh grass frequently.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”