Turkey Breeder Coops/Pens

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm

I am looking to build some breeder coops/pens for my turkeys. Looking for ideas. My eventual plan is to keep 3 breeds for turkeys to breed, 1 tom and 3 hens in each breeding coop/pen.

Looking for suggestions or ideas.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:00 pm

Ok I have been doing a bunch of web surfing and I am thinking of building hoop houses using cattle fence panels.

For size I am thinking 12ft x 8ft = 96 sq ft, if I house 4 or 5 turkeys per house = 19-24 sq feet per bird. One end will be solid plywood, the other end will be wire mesh with access door. I will cover the top with a white tarp to protect from the elements but still let lots of light in.

I would like to build slightly raised external nest boxes on the plywood end to make egg collection easier and maximize interior space, but not sure if the hens will use them.

Eventually plan to build 3 pens... 1 for the Beltsville Small Whites, 1 for the Artisan Golds and 1 BSW hen and a 3rd pen for future additons.... Midget Whites or Royal Palms or Chocolates..... maybe I will need 4 pens.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Sounds good Jim . What yu gonna use round bottom edge to keep predators from digging under ? What size are spaces in wire for hoop & ends ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:17 am

That will be a great setup Jim. Getting the hens to lay where you want is a different matter. I used 2 large totes with cutouts last year. One hen ended up nesting between the totes. Trying to get the eggs is next to impossible. I left her to it and she hatched out 3 poults. I also removed the tom and extra hen as they were causing havoc. I think using your hoop houses is great, but be ready to let a hen sit if she is intent io it. Good luck.
Andy :egg:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:46 am

Jim... You need to buy feed by the ton. Call it a business.. Get the write offs... Jim's petting zoo... Or Jim's bird world... Or Jim's heritage and exotic meats.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:02 am

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Sounds good Jim . What yu gonna use round bottom edge to keep predators from digging under ? What size are spaces in wire for hoop & ends ?
For around the bottom I will probably use a bunch of the galvanized metal wire shelves I have, they are 4ft x 2ft, so would make a nice 2ft wide border around and then throw some wood chips on top of them.

On the sides I will use some 1"x 1" welded wire over the cattle panel wire and probably use 1" x 1" or some of the shelving panels on the ends.

Andy, thanks for the insights on turkey nests, I guess I will see what happens.
Black & Blue Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:29 am

Sounds goid Jim . Keep us posted & pics my 20 year old outside wood pheasant , turkey , dove pens are need of replacing if gonna use . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”