Tried and True Designs

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Tried and True Designs

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Chicken tractors: this is the way to go for me. My first I built ten years ago. 4x6 tin roof split in half, one side hinged. 4 walls wire. Great for juvenile birds till adult, starting with 12 finish w 8 as they grow larger. Young birds sleep on ground in one corner. Next ones will be similiar but two walls solid (thin plywood) two walls wire. The wind is what could make it cold on cold spring and fall days and nights. We got 5 dogs so dog smell keeps trouble away. New ones will have wire on ground on 4 sides to stop potential digging predators. Last summer used a fixed coop and all birds were free ranged. I lost birds to hawks; birds get too much exercise and don't gain weight; plus garden damage. Free juvenile birds got coccidiosis: no deaths but extremely slow to mature and gain weight. Gonna build new ones for layers as well: controlled birds will prep land for future gardening. Plus no poop to shovel. The problem with tractors: catching birds when needed. Its easier to have a tall coop you can walk into and close door.
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:58 pm

I worry about the hawks around here so would like to figure out a couple of tractors....I can move them around with the 4 wheeler. We have about an acre of asparagus and would love to have them eating bugs in the patch but it is so open to birds of prey.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Young birds are dumb: if you build with a door and let them out, they will congregate outside at night, so you have to be home to put them in. If birds have never been free then they're happy in a tractor. Let em loose and they'll pace looking for a way out when locked up. I plan to get "apron" fence from "red brand" : a 5 foot chicken fence and bottom is on a hinge so perfect for a tractor.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:20 pm

No problem with mine ross. But my birds are all pretty good....other people i know have had problems with tape eating etc and did exactly what you suggested and it worked perfectly. :-)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”