Coop build

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Coop build

Post by Giffen Farms » Thu May 17, 2018 4:38 pm

This past rain day I started insulating the coop and man did my back ever hurt afterwards, couldn't imagine doing that for a living, just need to find someone else with a strong back and a weak mind to put the plywood over top 😉
North side
North side
South side
South side
Exterior
Exterior
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Coop build

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Nice!
You obviously need a husband or as my DH calls it "indentured labor" ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu May 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Coming along nicely!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm

lol @Giffen Farms ‘s wife might not like him having a husband! Even if he is a good insulator.
Looking great!

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm

She already thinks i have one😃,

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 pm

This is what I'm thinking of, what do you thinking?
Layout
Layout

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 18, 2018 10:44 am

Happy wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm
lol @Giffen Farms ‘s wife might not like him having a husband! Even if he is a good insulator.
Looking great!
Sure she would, it's a bit like an "office wife", he could do all the extra jobs the wife doesn't want :)

Layout looks good, couple things I have seen in other great set ups that you may want to keep in mind.
Birds will have a go at each other thru outside run fence and although they may not be able to get thru, they will actually do damage to themselves.
You may want to leave one of the pens unfinished, until you have spent some time "test driving the coop, it may become clear after, that you need that space set up differently.
And last but not least, do leave enough space for the keeper to work in comfort.
In our enthusiasm to utilize every foot of space for the birds, we sometime forget about our own comfort. :pop:

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:44 am
Happy wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm
Looking great!
Sure she would, it's a bit like an "office wife", he could do all the extra jobs the wife doesn't want :)

Layout looks good, couple things I have seen in other great set ups that you may want to keep in mind.
Birds will have a go at each other thru outside run fence and although they may not be able to get thru, they will actually do damage to themselves.
You may want to leave one of the pens unfinished, until you have spent some time "test driving the coop, it may become clear after, that you need that space set up differently.
And last but not least, do leave enough space for the keeper to work in comfort.
In our enthusiasm to utilize every foot of space for the birds, we sometime forget about our own comfort. :pop:
Ok, that's something to think of thank you. Yes I agree with what looks good on paper doesn't always look good in the practical side, I'd like to find/use a wall mount feeders, lots in the states but haven't found any that ship north of the border, I'm a farmer not a carpenter otherwise I'd make them.

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 am

@Giffen Farms try using rabbit or pig shaped feeders. I have a bunch left over that i bought used for my coop if you want them.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Giffen Farms wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 pm
This is what I'm thinking of, what do you thinking?
20180429_214709.jpg
Looks good to me! Are you planning to make the roosts removable for easier cleaning? Also, where are vents placed? To make future ceiling insulation jobs easier, make yourself a 'T' post, just a short length of 2x2 or 4x4 nailed to the top of a longer length. You can use it to shove insulation in place, or hold sheet lumber, etc. up while you screw it in. Drywall gun makes MUCH shorter work of attaching plywood, mdf (pressboard), chip board, tin sheets, etc., etc..

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”