Nest Boxes

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Nest Boxes

Post by thejonesboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm going to be building a new coop in spring. I've been asked why I don't have external nest boxes like the photo below.
Not My Coop
Not My Coop
I've always thought that the external nests would be too cold in winter. Now I'm not so sure.
Anyone got a preference and why?
Andy :egg:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Nest Boxes

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 pm

We have a similar arrangement in our first coop. Main issue is snow on it that needs to be brushed off in winter. It can tip snow inside on lifting. ALso ours is very heavy because it's 2 layers of plywood with insulation between so it can be hard to lift it up and then balance on your shoulder while trying to get the eggs. I wouldn't do it again. Of course ours doesn't have a large access door like that one.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Personally, I'm happy with internal nest boxes. I get in out of the weather, and weather doesn't affect the nest boxes if inside. However, I have a coop that I can stand up in, and a separate storage shed area that is connected. My original temporary coop had an external nest box that had ongoing issues with water getting in. I hated it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks KB, dealing with the snow is a great reason not to use that design. So I won't :D

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Jaye wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm
Personally, I'm happy with internal nest boxes. I get in out of the weather, and weather doesn't affect the nest boxes if inside. However, I have a coop that I can stand up in, and a separate storage shed area that is connected. My original temporary coop had an external nest box that had ongoing issues with water getting in. I hated it.
My coops are both walk-in with internal boxes. Both coops are on the ground and the chicken coop is being eaten away by the mice. So I want to build a raised coop at least 18" off the ground. I'm thinking about internal nest boxes with a side door to access the eggs.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 am

I have a trailer coop with that kind of outside box. The hinge on the lift lid leaks water into the box below, the crack lets snow in when you lift the lid and unless you make it heavy or clip it down the wind will lift it. And if you clip it down the clips freeze in the winter. And if you make it heavy you will drop it at some pont and stress the girls with the noise you will get no eggs for 3 days.
Just my experience. I now use my trailer as a guinea/poult/chick rearing pen...once they can fly up to the nesting boxes they learn to roost amd then are moved shortly after into a big bird coop.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 am

I have a "combo" of the two, they are inside boxes accessible from the outside of the pen.
It's a triple box, and is inserted in to the opening in the wire and suspended from the 2x4 on both sides.
Nest boxes Cage.jpg
I also use this cage as a grow out pen, to avoid chicks roosting in the boxes it's removed and opening closed, until just before they are ready to lay.
Barn tour inside.jpg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:00 pm

I too, have a trailer coop...and the nesting boxes are external on the rear wall...it works well except for the fact that the coop has a basic 'shed' roof and the low side is the rear wall...so if i did it again I would avoid that placement...i use a gate hook and loop to hold the lid open when i chk for eggs and that works well...its merely made from 1/2 plywood and stained to match the coop wall....all joints are solid and no drafts and i used a strip or innertube along the hinge joint to keep out the drips on rainy or snow melty days....
On the other coop (a more 'permanent' building) i have three pens and the nesting boxes are external to the pens but in the building...it works well but the nesting boxes steal space from inside the building, specifically from my working area...so given the choice i would put the nesting boxes externally unless the building was large enough for it not to matter inside

Just my opinion ... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Oh and anyway OCs line of Wyandottes appear to have "nest box aversion" syndrome. I decided to put them in with an experienced hen who ALWAYS lays in a box and the little whotsits retrained her not to!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Funny, I have a few of OC's Wyandottes and they nest/lay on the floor under a ramp :rubbingchin:

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”