How can I salvage this coop?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
nsducktoller
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: How can I salvage this coop?

Post by nsducktoller » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 am

The box is bigger than it looks in the photo. It is actually five feet long, four feet high at the tall end, and three feet wide. There is a carabiner clip holding shut the hasp.
I have five laying hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 am

If the "coop" is built like a building, with 2x4 studs, you can stil salvage it by putting a window in one side and attach an external laying box accessible from the outside.
If you can't provide light and ventilation, you wil not get any eggs anyway, better to sell the hens and start anew in the spring.
Thank you for listening and trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am

I agree with OC , see if you can put a window in and something to roost on even if only a straw bale that should help. Yes it is a lot bigger than it looks but you will still need a little ventilation, I don't know if the window open a crack would work or if that would just cause a draft.

nsducktoller
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by nsducktoller » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Thank you for all the advice. The coop does in fact have roosts in it, just no laying boxes. I have not yet had any luck finding a carpenter to help me but at the very least it needs a window and a vent - I was thinking over something louvered to decrease drafts. I have had huge issues with weasels and raccoons so it must be secure.

I kind of hate to give up the hens. They are just red sex link hens from a commercial hatchery but somehow they have become pets - they run up to greet me and they follow me around the yard. I can actually tell them apart and worse yet, I have named them. This will make it tough to cull them when they stop laying, but that is another issue. In the meantime, I want them housed properly, comfortably, and safely.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Ventalation but no drafts one type . New fresh dry air in bottom old stale moist air out top . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Iv kept chickens in similar sized coops with an attached 4x8 covered run. However proper ventelation n light is a must.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Idea: if you are starting from scratch, you can find a high school with a woodshop and give them plans. All you pay for is materials (labour is free) and it'll get done when its done.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

I am not at home so no photos to post. But as people have said add some ventilation in the little coop. Then get three 2x6 boards 8 feet long and build a box frame 8 ft x 4 ft them use some pvc electrical conduit and build a hoop frame over the 4 x 8 frame then cover the hoop frame with welded wire or hardware cloth then cover with white tarp or clear vapor barrier to keep skow out. Attach your little coop on one end and built a door on the other.

Not you have a little coop/nesting area with about 15 sq feet and a covered run with about 30 sq feet lots of space.

I keep most of my birds in these types of set ups and last winter my young birds started laying in January.

I will try and take some photos of my hoop houses tomorrow.

Barely any carpentry skills required, cheap, very predator proof if done right and easy to move if needed.

Best of luck

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Just like made to order, this coop appeared on Kijiji Ottawa area
featuring the external laying boxes I thought may work and the hoop type enclosure Jim suggested.
This combo would work well with your "box" BTW the asking price is $ 2 000
I am pretty sure it can be made for less then $ 200
Chicken coop .jpg
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/ottaw ... nFlag=true

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”