Chick/breeder pen

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
KyleS
On the Roost

Chick/breeder pen

Post by KyleS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Almost done building the newest addition of poultry housing at KS bantams! Goal os to house grow outs until they have enough feather to go into the main coop. This pen will have steel roof put on tommorow and the door finished with hardware cloth over the window. Also going to paint it to make it last. Shelter is about 3X4 feet inside and I made it 5' tall so
I don't have to crouch down so low. Its all built on top of a pressure treated pallet that we have our calf feed delivered on so i can move it any where with the tractor. All said and done cost me about 100$! Pictures to follow
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

KyleS
On the Roost

Re: Chick/breeder pen

Post by KyleS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Should mention it isnt THAT out of square just sitting on an angle on my lawn!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm

About your metal roof - if you plan to use this building in cooler weather like spring and fall, you will likely get frost and condensation on the inside. I have a completely steel building that is uninsulated and about February when the sun starts to warm up the frost on the inside of the roof melts and drips on everything. This keeps happening as the temperature goes up and down.

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm

@Shnookie yes i had thought of that, happens in our machine shed every spring too. i have enough plywood to do the roof as well maybe i need to put that dowm then metal on top, i just like the look and longevity of metal roofing other wise i would just leave it as wood.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am

I would put on a ply roof and then cover in steel. long lasting without the condensation dripping issue. the ply will also help insulate from the heat of the metal in the summer too.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 am

@WLLady would it be smart to put vapour barrier between the plywoof and metal?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am

i don't because i want some air movement and the seams between the plywood pieces are never sealed....this one looks small enough that it would just be one sheet of ply. if you use ply (and not oriented strand board (OSB)) then any condensation will just run off and evaporate. Most the condensation on the inside though is from respiration/metabolism from the birds, so there won't be that much condensation between the metal and the ply.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 pm

WLLady wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am
I would put on a ply roof and then cover in steel. long lasting without the condensation dripping issue. the ply will also help insulate from the heat of the metal in the summer too.
:iagree: I do this for the same reasons.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”