Best way to prevent pests

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
syeo
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by syeo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Toying with the idea of raising my coop. It will be a huge job and the only reason I'm considering doing this is because last year I had a infestation of rats. Hesitated to use poison because I have dogs and worried about them possibly eating a dead rat.
The other idea was to bury hardware cloth around perimeter.
Any other ideas?

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

Post by Rooster Rick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm

I put concrete down in the bottoms of my coops and haven't had problems with anything getting in since!

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by tcamp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:40 pm

If the chickens can't get under there, throw some mothballs in underneath. They tend to keep most things away. Don't use too many, you don't want to smell them INSIDE the coop. Start with a couple where there is obvious entry

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Syeo I'm happy to give you some snakes. I'm over-run with them!
The only varmints I have an issue with is chipmunks. You know it's bad when you start to recognize them and name them.

Powersranch
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Powersranch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 pm

If they just ate the extra feed they find in the yard id be more tolerant... But they go for the feed bins evertime. Little buggers.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:14 pm

I put my feed in large round galvanized garbage bins . 50kg per bin with snap down lids . Got at Homehardware . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

syeo
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by syeo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 am

Last year I had an epidemic of rats. The food was contained and I fed the hens outside and only what they would clean up in a few minutes
They were under the coop and dug so many tunnels the ground was spongy. The hens stopped laying and the damage they did to the coop was unbelievable. At that point I ended up selling the hens. My son was picking the rats off with a 22 and a farmer friend of ours put some kind of bait under the coop and that was the last of them.
Now I'm revamping the coop, tearing off the back part and putting up a hoop greenhouse for the new chicks that I have. This time I
will bury the hardware cloth deeper and hope I will be able to manage any rodents as soon as I see them.
I would love to get some of your snakes Happy! It has been a few years since I've seen one on the property.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am

I think the best defense against vermin or predators is an aggressive offense. I keep traps set 24/7/365, inspect them daily, my 2 cats do a good job on the mice, my dog is always checking the property out and will let me know if theres some "fun" out there and coons ect are eliminated on site.

Dont wait for a problem to come up before taking action, take action and you'll never have a problem, hopefully :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 am

My Uncle had a ferret and would let it under his coop to flush the rats out. His 2 dogs would have a field day with the rats.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am

My grandmother would do the same thing and swears that by just having one around that still has its scent glands deters rodents and other members of the mink family. Shes told me over n over to get a ferret.
G Williams wrote:QR_BBPOST My Uncle had a ferret and would let it under his coop to flush the rats out. His 2 dogs would have a field day with the rats.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”