New Coop?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
syeo
Newly Hatched Chick

New Coop?

Post by syeo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Debating on tearing down old coop and starting over. What is the best way to avoid mice/rats/squirrels? Was wondering if an elevated coop is the answer or trenching around original coop. It is 8x12'.
Ventilation seemed to be a issue with old design as well even though I had placed several vents around the coop although they were high on the walls.
Would a whirligig be a better idea then vents?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

New Coop?

Post by ross » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Fresh dry air in bottom , stale damp air out top . Bottom vent 12" from floor & as close to top as possible . Whirly roof vents are good but noisy . Luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

syeo
Newly Hatched Chick

New Coop?

Post by syeo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks for the info Ross.

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: New Coop?

Post by tcamp » Wed May 10, 2017 10:05 pm

I have a whirly thing...I raised my coop 20" and put a "run" underneath....and I still have one corner that gets damp. My whirly thingy doesn't make noise that I notice. I really need to figure out how to ventilate that area better. The problem is that my coop doesn't ventilate west/east...and I KNEW I was making a mistake when I did it, but the plan with the garden forced A frame to face more north/south. Now I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to put ventilation in. My problem also is that I have three pens in a 12 x 8 shed...so keeping drafts away from all roosts is almost impossible. Maybe I need another whirly thing at the other end above the damp area

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: New Coop?

Post by ross » Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Pull fresh air in one side at low level & stale air out .I have a 8"/12" vent in floor in my loft & roof RV vents on hip roof . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”