Paint for coop interior

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Paint for coop interior

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm finishing up a couple of brooder cages in the next few days so I think when weather is a little drier and warmer I'm going to go for it. It can't make things worse. I like Kenya's Kitty litter idea and may just try that! I'm also moving food/supply bags out of the coop to steal some space back and make the corners easier to get at.

Happy

Paint for coop interior

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Shnookie wrote:QR_BBPOST My chickens are in a building that has a sand floor. I put shavings in the nests and on the floor for the winter. Even when it's cold and the chickens aren't doing much dusting there is a coating of sand and feather dust on everything. Would it be easier to install an air filter of some kind? That is if you could find one that wouldn't choke and die from the amount of dust. Electronics are really good at collecting dust. Maybe a TV would help. :)
Shnookie a TV, a computer keyboard and a game console! All of them are dusty 5 minutes after you clean them!

Eggsaggerate
Newly Hatched Chick

Paint for coop interior

Post by Eggsaggerate » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Happy wrote:I'm seriously considering stripping everything out, scrubbing and then painting everything inside my coop. I cannot stand the dust any longer!!! While I know that painting isn't going to get rid of the problem I'm hoping it would make cleaning it a little easier. Currently the interior of coop is the raw backside of a fibre board product (it's slightly fuzzy and grabs and holds dust) I think I would cover that with thin (pre painted) panelling. I've also considered switching to sand versus wood shavings to help as well. Anybody have experience/advice? Good idea/horrible idea/paint type suggestions?
TIA
I've found Spar varnish works quite well. It has been on a wooden floor and roosts for 4 years and shows no sign of wear yet.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Paint for coop interior

Post by ross » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Old style whitewash works well too . But then I'm old school . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Paint for coop interior

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 am

Yeah, the greasy dust is chicken dander, and not really much you can do about it, short of shampooing your chickens. It will collect on any horizontal surface, or any porous or textured vertical surface. Fans help (until they clog lol) but they have to be agricultural duty, otherwise they're a fire risk...the dust can ignite from a motor spark.
People who keep/breed cage birds in their house, often resort to expensive air filters--even one cockatoo will coat your house in dust in no time--but they have to be frequently cleaned. I'm not sure there is any way around it, and all you can do is make surfaces too slippery for dust to want to stick. Not sure that's possible, as it even glues itself to glass LOL. That said, I'm with Ross on the whitewash--dust will stick to it, but brushes right off with a whisk broom, as some of the whitewash brushes off as well.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Paint for coop interior

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 am

The whitewash is old tried and true method and also works as a disinfectant, but depending on a base, has to be repeated on regular bases and in the "olden days" was done annually, which is way too often for my taste ;)
An interesting observation the rough Hemlock boards which are in the pens that used to be horse stalls don't seem to attract dust at all, although they have a very rough surface and as Jan mentioned the dust settles on vertical glass surfaces
Hemlock boards at the back
Hemlock.jpg
the Pine strips, needed a bit of light sweeping this year, after 4 years
Pine board.jpg

Happy

Paint for coop interior

Post by Happy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Well I got some mdf board yesterday that is super smooth. It's in 4x8 sheets and I'm putting it on the 3 walls of my built in brooders. Going to insulate the exterior walls of the brooder portion as well since chicks have no option but to survive out in the coop lol. I don't have time to paint this with anything before chicks have to move into them so I will see if the slippery surface is enough to make cleaning easier. If it works in the brooders I'm installing it through the rest of the coop. I don't think lime wash would stick to it. Yes if I remember correctly from a kid our barn got lime washed every year and huge chunks of it would fall on me lol. I couldn't use that on the fibre board in the coop anyways I don't think without fear of it warping. Hoping the smoother flat surface is the solution I need. I know I won't ever get rid of dust unless I have a perfectly clean, empty coop lol. Just need to make maintenance much easier than it seems to be now and keep me and the chickens more comfortable.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”