Covered roosts?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Covered roosts?

Post by tcamp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Has anyone tried covered roosts? It is said that they keep the heat in the roost area at night for the birds. This sounds quite appealing on a 40 below night but I am wondering if all it will do is keep the humidity low and on their combs and cause even worse frostbite during the coldest spells. Just curious to see if anyone has tried it. I'm in the mood to make a few changes this spring :P
One idea I am going to utilize is putting an extra grow out/breeding pen under the roost so that I can better use the space, and have an easy to clean poop collection under them at the same time.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Covered roosts?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 pm

One problem I find with any space "under" is the lack of light.
I have an extra space under a barn brooder, and although it's 4 feet of the ground, I seldom use the space under it, and only for very short periods of time, because of lack of natural light.
If you come up with a solution, please post pictures we all like to copy improvements :)

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Covered roosts?

Post by tcamp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST One problem I find with any space "under" is the lack of light.
I have an extra space under a barn brooder, and although it's 4 feet of the ground, I seldom use the space under it, and only for very short periods of time, because of lack of natural light.
If you come up with a solution, please post pictures we all like to copy improvements :)

I've been using rope lights in the darker areas and it works quite well. I just clip the rope lights up to the ceiling of the pen by stapling twist ties and tying them up there. I haven't honesty tried the LED strips yet,(I want to) but the rope lights are encased so the birds can't break them. Never had a problem so far
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Covered roosts?

Post by Shnookie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:05 pm

You have some really nicely built pens.

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Covered roosts?

Post by tcamp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Shnookie wrote:QR_BBPOST You have some really nicely built pens.
Thank you, they are empty at the moment, one has a huge squirrel nest in it from the winter that I haven't cleaned out yet and the other two are full of equipment...lol The very bottom one has some 8 week old chicks i bought this week. I have to get to work in there in the next few days I have chicks due to hatch next week and they will need the brooder pen. I don't keep them in the house the dust really gets to me within a day or two.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”