chicken greenhouse

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

chicken greenhouse

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:27 pm

I keep kicking around an idea: a greenhouse used for plants from March through November, and used for chickens from Nov through March. Though temps would at night freeze in winter, the daylight and most days daytime temps would be comfortable so eggs wouldn't freeze (which happens to me all the time). and the intense light would push them to lay in winter. plus the btu's put out by the chickens would increase temps as well.

the angle of the roof would deflect some light in summer and let all the light in in winter.
black barrels full of water would be a heat sink releasing heat at night and moderating temps during the day.
the north wall would be a solid and insulated wall.
it could be used as a kiln to dry firewood in autumn if needed.
the door big enough for a wheelbarrow.
I guess I should stop thinking and build one.
has anyone done this? how would you do it?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

SandyM

Re: chicken greenhouse

Post by SandyM » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Ok. So get it done. Make sure you post pictures

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:14 pm

You'll need good ventilation and shading, or you will cook your chickens in March.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:38 am

Yep, what robbie said! i have a little 8x10 green house and even on a bright sunny day in january it can get to 30C inside in a hurry, but mine isn't insulated so the temps plummet to -whatever at night. i'd be worried in a set up like mine that the girls wouldn't put on enough fluff and then at night be too cold, it's a huge temperature swing during the day. your barrels should/would help the swing somewhat....
i know the mice LOVE my setup...so maybe it would be ok for chickens too?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Would love to see if it would work.

Eggsaggerate
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Eggsaggerate » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:05 am

My run is a portable garage frame covered with hardware cloth. In the winter, I add old storm windows around the bottom edge and cover the the rest with a white tarp. The chickens used it all of last winter (-25 for weeks on end here in eastern ontario). Two down sides: the snow has to be raked off the top otherwise it will collapse and high winds in the fall do a number on the tarp. I am in the process of growing a wind break of evergreens to reduce the wind damage and hopefully the snow build up but if you can choose a protected location it might not be an issue.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 am

This sounds like a totally doable project..geez, like i need more to do but its gonna happen here...my only thought would be the water barrels....the idea is good but it gets mighty nippy here and I'm not a fan of frozen water in containers of any type...okay..nuff talking...to the drawing board...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:24 am

TomK wrote:This sounds like a totally doable project..geez, like i need more to do but its gonna happen here...my only thought would be the water barrels....the idea is good but it gets mighty nippy here and I'm not a fan of frozen water in containers of any type...okay..nuff talking...to the drawing board...

Does it have to be potable water? If not, use sealed barrels water with antifreeze in it.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:40 am

Good idea, Robbie.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:58 am

Man I have been googling chicken green houses for the last hour!

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”