Question Waterproof, resilient, non-toxic?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Waterproof, resilient, non-toxic?

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm

NP Sandy.... Anything to see you get some birds again!

:beer2:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm

No chickens Al.

Many things to sort, including importing. That will be my next post.:/

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:12 pm

oh yeah ducks! that puck board would be great for ducks!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

I googled puck board (thanks Ross) and this looks to be an excellent option.
White washing with lime does too. However I feel cautious of lime, but not ready to rule it out. L
Calf hutches remain in the thought process too, although I have a wonderful coop that I don't want to waste, but definitely needs to be altered to be duck worthy.

Woohoo!!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Whitewash actually preserves wood once dry, because insects won't chew into it and it halts bacterial breakdown. If it gets frequently damp, I suspect it might be a different story, but my mother's whitewashed coop (was cow stalls at one time) is the only part of the old barn on that property that's still left standing. Even the huge oak beams are rotten. What was once an enormous barn is now a 20 x 20 room lol. Another option may be a high-silica wood like black locust...Will wreak havoc on your cutting tools, but stands up to water, weather and bugs well. You can also get pure latex rubber coatings, but they all have stuff added to them, plus would break down within a couple of years.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:49 pm

http://www.puckboardcanada.com

Here is a website I found, but just checked BBB rating an F, so I would nor buy from them. I would love to line my new coop with puck board, just need to find at reasonable price.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Canard
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Canard » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 am

goatgal35 wrote:Not really the answer to your question, but I am using the calf hutches like you suggested a while back. I have the ducks and geese in them. It works very well. We made doors for them so I can lock the birds in at night or when I'm not home. Light enough for me to move easily by myself as many times as necessary and they can be pressure washed as needed.

Hey goatgal35, I like this idea. How many square feet are in a calf hutch and how did you predator proof it. Pictures of your set up would be great if you have them. Thanks.

Chris.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Canard wrote:QR_BBPOST
goatgal35 wrote:Not really the answer to your question, but I am using the calf hutches like you suggested a while back. I have the ducks and geese in them. It works very well. We made doors for them so I can lock the birds in at night or when I'm not home. Light enough for me to move easily by myself as many times as necessary and they can be pressure washed as needed.

Hey goatgal35, I like this idea. How many square feet are in a calf hutch and how did you predator proof it. Pictures of your set up would be great if you have them. Thanks.

Chris.
The interior is about 4x6 feet, and all we did was make a door to close up the opening. 5 geese in one, 12 juvenile Muscovy in one, and 7 adult Muscovy in an other. Just by looking, I think they have plenty of room for night time accommodations. At night I lock the waterfowl in and close up the two little windows. I leave the roof vent open a bit. All three hutches are inside of a fenced paddock that has a run in shed with a llama for protection. I was moving them daily. Since we got all the snow I have just put lots of straw in for them and left them in the same spot. I don't water them inside, I only put a bit of food in at night to get them to go in for bedtime. So far so good

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 pm

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST http://www.puckboardcanada.com

Here is a website I found, but just checked BBB rating an F, so I would nor buy from them. I would love to line my new coop with puck board, just need to find at reasonable price.
I've seen folks cut it in 16" or 24 " X 8' pcs & do around bottom of wall Jim . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Canard
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Canard » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:27 am

Seems like a neat idea from the ease of cleaning perspective and the portability. Might have to look out for one of these in the future.

Thanks.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”