Question Waterproof, resilient, non-toxic?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Maximus

Waterproof, resilient, non-toxic?

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:05 am

Is there such a thing?
I'm wanting to 'paint' the inside of my coop with something that will seal it (it's all wood), waterproof it and is non-toxic as possible.
I want to be able to hook up the power washer and blast the coop from top to bottom twice a year, or more if needed. Hopefully someone has an idea or two.

Something tells me I'm asking for the world here.

Thanks y'all

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Not really the answer to your question, but I am using the calf hutches like you suggested a while back. I have the ducks and geese in them. It works very well. We made doors for them so I can lock the birds in at night or when I'm not home. Light enough for me to move easily by myself as many times as necessary and they can be pressure washed as needed.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:19 pm

most products are nontoxic once they are dry but I really dont know. I personally would never pressure wash the inside of my coop cuz I dont think they would ever fully dry. now i will spray things with bleach to sterilize them and then wait a few days or place them in the sun until fully dry.

another thing that may accomplish exactly what you want but a completely different approach is a limewash. it goes on like paint, sterilizes everything and leaves it all a clean white when done. it used to be a common practice to do this every year before pressure washers.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:31 pm

goatgal35 wrote:QR_BBPOST Not really the answer to your question, but I am using the calf hutches like you suggested a while back. I have the ducks and geese in them. It works very well. We made doors for them so I can lock the birds in at night or when I'm not home. Light enough for me to move easily by myself as many times as necessary and they can be pressure washed as needed.
This definitely is a very probable consideration for me. I really do think it is brilliant! sometomes I amaze myself

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:35 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST most products are nontoxic once they are dry but I really dont know. I personally would never pressure wash the inside of my coop cuz I dont think they would ever fully dry. now i will spray things with bleach to sterilize them and then wait a few days or place them in the sun until fully dry.

another thing that may accomplish exactly what you want but a completely different approach is a limewash. it goes on like paint, sterilizes everything and leaves it all a clean white when done. it used to be a common practice to do this every year before pressure washers.
But I read that Lime breaks down the wood quickly. The coop floor is wood. Thoughts?
Drying would have to have fans And man doors wide open. But .. you're right. Complete drying might be a challenge. Leaf blower?
I might take my constructive brain back to calf hutches.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 pm

all I can tell you about that is the interior of the one old barn thats laying on the ground here is in perfect condition while the outside walls collapsed... and its original to the property... probably like 150 years old. the big barn thats still standing, samething almost perfect. the only boards with rot are the exterior barn boards. rotted from the outside in.

white wash uses lime but the lime has been put through a process before its mixed. I "think" it protects the wood but I am far from an expert. no doubt though that regular pure lime breaks things down.

at the old place the little barn we had, all the walls had a very thick coating of white wash and all the original walls were in very very good shape. some of the newly rebuilt stalls made with barn board were all ready rotting after a few years. they were never treated with anything.

Soooo I dont know for a fact but from my very little experience I think white wash is one of the best solutions for inside barns/coops and it makes everything bright!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:49 pm

How about linseed oil? It is a varnish that resists water and can be eaten with potatoes and quark (cheese). Also known as flax seed oil. Assuming its pure and not mixed with nasty stuff....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:52 pm

http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... 350&p=4353

heres a thread with some info on lime and limewash. lots of the long time poultry keepers do use pure lime on wood/cement and dirt floors with seemingly no problems at all.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:20 pm

Look up "puck board " at your local bldg centre .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks everyone!
I knew I would get some helpful suggestions on here!

Cheers!

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”