How to fix a Shelter Logic Shelter?

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Satellite
On the Roost

Post by Satellite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi All

Our winter play area for the chickens is a large Shelter Logic portable Garage--works fantastic, but there a many holes in it due to some errant wind gusts last year.

Aside from duct tape, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the holes/tears?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Aside from duct tape, no idea, really. I think duct tape comes in all kinds of colours, if it's the aesthetics of the stuff that is putting you off.
Apply the patches to the inside, so the outside looks tidy?
Or could you maybe patch the holes with pieces of tarp?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 pm

there is better tape than duct tape made exactly for the type of material it is. I really dont know what the material is but for our one pop up trailer that has canvas and a hole in it, I was able to buy tape made for canvas that was reinforced with fiberglass. its been on the trailer inside and out for 3 years now. the previous duct tape only lasted a few months.

now for tarp like materiel there is actual tape made for tarp, sticky as heck and does a great job.

always clean the surfave of whatever your taping. to make duct tape work better and last longer apply some heat to it with a bic lighter until it melts a little and then really press it on. of course make sure not to burn everything down. :-)

I bought all this speciality tape a princess auto, the canvas tape is expensive but really works.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Satellite
On the Roost

Post by Satellite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:29 pm

I personally don't care about the aesthetics [my husband may.....], I just want it to last. Good to know about the canvas tape though...

and I didn't know there was tarp tape--I will be looking around.

So I heat the tape before putting it up? I feel nervous already!

Thank you.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:11 pm

if you get the right kind of tape for the material theres no need to heat it up just clean it up and make sure its dry before putting it on. regular tuct tape i heat up with a lighter after its applied then press it on. it seems to stick better and last longer. i dont think I would chance doing that on a tarp though. tarps catch on fire fast LOL.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”