Never stop building!!

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Arwen.26
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Never stop building!!

Post by Arwen.26 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:41 pm

SandyM wrote:I did a plywood count yesterday and there are 205 sheets, and no clue how many board feet of lumber there is. Not all for me I've been told ...lou needs to finish the inside of the new garage ...boo! So I've allotted him 10 sheet Haha :) if I need more lumber, then it's easy enough to purchase more.

I have to get my ideas onto paper. Somehow. Poor Lou. Anyone else divorce over coop design?

After being at Dougs I realize ducks are a must! So in my head I have one half of the gazebo/hexagons type shaped building allotted for ducks, including a ramp up to the swimming area. All the water from rain etc. I want to run into the duck coop, with over flow into rain barrels.

The other portion of the gazebo building will be bachelor pad, nursery, college and honeymoon suit all separated accordingly. I'm going to build a smaller quarantine coop on the other side of the property from where the other coops are/will be. I'm going to make that just an indoor building with no access outside and go to habitat for humanity reuse store and look for skylights or some windows to add so they are naturally lit during the day.

Thankfully I have a handy friend who has offered to help build with me. Lous busy time is spring to winter so his help can't be part of my plan entirely.

2016 - Coops built
2017 - year round greenhouse built, multi level
2018 - build small barn & a few cattle if I can swing cattle (complicated because of lack of grazing ... We are 23 acres of trees trees and more trees)
2019 - off the grid, completed by end of 2020.
WOW!...sounds soooo much like my situation...every year we build another building (and by we I mean my partner Jesse) lol...so nice to have a woodworker at my disposal. This year I promised no outbuilding projects...like you I did wonder if these endeavors might affect our relationship...just a little lol.
I just had to respond ....our plan is VERY similar to yours with different challenges. ..we have endless grazing space but as for a barn...that's were are challenges come in.. $.. So far we have achieved to build our 2 coops by saving our change. (Anything that is under a loonie goes into the pot)...try it you'd be surprised how much you can save up in a year, just from change
This year I'm going buy a green house...just to start and give my man a break...lol
And hopefully at some point be off grid too...but by2019 2020 might be wishful thinking for us, living on a very modest budget.
Thanks for sharing :running-chicken:

SandyM

Re: Never stop building!!

Post by SandyM » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 am

Arwen.26 wrote:
SandyM wrote:I did a plywood count yesterday and there are 205 sheets, and no clue how many board feet of lumber there is. Not all for me I've been told ...lou needs to finish the inside of the new garage ...boo! So I've allotted him 10 sheet Haha :) if I need more lumber, then it's easy enough to purchase more.

I have to get my ideas onto paper. Somehow. Poor Lou. Anyone else divorce over coop design?

After being at Dougs I realize ducks are a must! So in my head I have one half of the gazebo/hexagons type shaped building allotted for ducks, including a ramp up to the swimming area. All the water from rain etc. I want to run into the duck coop, with over flow into rain barrels.

The other portion of the gazebo building will be bachelor pad, nursery, college and honeymoon suit all separated accordingly. I'm going to build a smaller quarantine coop on the other side of the property from where the other coops are/will be. I'm going to make that just an indoor building with no access outside and go to habitat for humanity reuse store and look for skylights or some windows to add so they are naturally lit during the day.

Thankfully I have a handy friend who has offered to help build with me. Lous busy time is spring to winter so his help can't be part of my plan entirely.

2016 - Coops built
2017 - year round greenhouse built, multi level
2018 - build small barn & a few cattle if I can swing cattle (complicated because of lack of grazing ... We are 23 acres of trees trees and more trees)
2019 - off the grid, completed by end of 2020.
WOW!...sounds soooo much like my situation...every year we build another building (and by we I mean my partner Jesse) lol...so nice to have a woodworker at my disposal. This year I promised no outbuilding projects...like you I did wonder if these endeavors might affect our relationship...just a little lol.
I just had to respond ....our plan is VERY similar to yours with different challenges. ..we have endless grazing space but as for a barn...that's were are challenges come in.. $.. So far we have achieved to build our 2 coops by saving our change. (Anything that is under a loonie goes into the pot)...try it you'd be surprised how much you can save up in a year, just from change
This year I'm going buy a green house...just to start and give my man a break...lol
And hopefully at some point be off grid too...but by2019 2020 might be wishful thinking for us, living on a very modest budget.
Thanks for sharing :running-chicken:
Oh what I could do to with a nice bank account and some grazing land. Oh and a handyman that doesn't work 24/7 haha! I can't help but think how busy some coop builders on wheels would be. The good thing is, I am a good cook so easily to persuade some handy friends to come for the day/weekend.

Those are just my plans ... Could very well not pan out exactly as is. Especially with the small barn and cattle. Our land is soft (swampy), protected and well... Buildings under permit size is all I can say.

We have a green house up the road that collapsed a few years ago. I want to go and ask if I can take his items on the ground. Wrong? It's just been sitting there a hot mess for years.

We have the anything that's not a bill goes in the pot. Took us to Lake Placid for 4 days last year. It's a proven method! Good for you guys :)

Thanks for sharing your plans and most of all Good luck with your plans!!

Cheers,

Sandy.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”