New Breeder Pens

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: New Breeder Pens

Post by JimW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 pm
JimW wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Pressure treated wood is a lot less toxic than it use to be, I am sure some people are against using pressure treated wood with birds, I am not sure if any real issue, since they do not chew.

JimW
I think it may be a problem if the chemical would leach out of the wood and in to the ground they scratch and peck at, but as you say Arsenic isn't used anymore and one would hope that the stuff actually stays in the wood since it's supposed to protect it?
Yes OC chemical leaching into the soil would be the min concern. The chemicals used today are copper-based compounds and based on a few resources the copper compounds are suppose to chemically bond in the wood and not leach.....

"A copper-based preservative chemically bonds to the wood; in other words, it is "fixed"
in the wood and cannot diffuse throughout the piece nor can it wash out. This means
copper-based treated wood can be used outdoors or even submerged in water."

So even if I don't believe the above 100% hopefully any soil leaching would be minimal.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”