Greenhouses and Chickens

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 am

OK so the wheels were turning a little bit last night and got to thinking that a greenhouse would be a great winter run for some chooks. Could put one of those PVC or cattle panel hoop frame type greenhouses together, attach a coop on the end and bingo bango, got myself a dual purpose building. Anyone have experience with the combination?

Here's a link from my googling

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... z1512.aspx

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 am

I have a mini version of the idea introduced on PSO by Silky Sue, and can't even imagine having chickens without this additional space.
Summer version, the tarp only serves as shade and keeping some of the rain off, but plenty of ventilation
Quonset summer.jpg
Winter with large tarp and plastic door insert, they go out every day without fail.
Quonset winter.jpg

Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:18 am

Very nice! I was hoping to use that area in the summer for veggies. Do you know what the thread from Silky was?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by thegawd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:29 am

the thread was on the old Poultry Swap Ontario site, before we opened up PTO. that is such a great idea eh! whats the steel wire called again OC? hog panels? something like 16' long?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by ross » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:36 am

Only limited by your imagination . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Anyone have some pics of a greenhouse with plants and chicken cohabiting?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:59 pm

I've thought this idea would work...its on my "one of these days" list. (I added a lot to the old thread.) I heard of a guy keeping bobwhite quail loose in the greenhouse. Completely eliminated cabbage fly and other bugs without plant damage.

The issue is controlling overheating and moderating extreme hot/cold temps. March temps can hit +30 in the greenhouse. Colorado has a big "home" greenhouse industry as frost can hit any day in summer so the only way to garden is w a greenhouse.
http://geodesic-greenhouse-kits.com/kee ... ouse-cool/ These kits are expensive and built with a big water tank that retains heat in winter and cools it in summer.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:01 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST the thread was on the old Poultry Swap Ontario site, before we opened up PTO. that is such a great idea eh! whats the steel wire called again OC? hog panels? something like 16' long?
They were "sheep panels" (possibly because they were purchased at the Wool Growers in CP)
4'x16',two of them gave us 8'x8' shelter with the tarp it was less then $ 100, cheapest way I could figure out to do it.
One of the side benefits here, because we in a forested area the birds aren't safe to free range unless somebody is supervising, without the "quonsets" we would have to close the chickens in the barn, every time we leave.
Since then we have installed another one, really only a half, all I could squeeze in there beside the door.
If I could I would put one in front of every pop door.
Quonset #2.jpg

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 pm

If the space isn't large enough, you may have too much manure to directly use that ground for veggies, although short-term they are great at turning the soil and eating weeds, seeds and bugs.
I'm liking this idea of quail in the planted greenhouse. : )

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Brebis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:44 am

The panels come in 2 sizes - "hog/sheep" panels are 3' X 16' and the "cattle" panels are 4' X 16'
They're useful for all sorts of things! The wire spacings are irregular, closer on the bottom and farther apart as it gets to the top which is good for keeping lambs in but not from preventing the from getting their heads stuck at the top lol!
The other similar panel I've gotten is one that has 3-4" squares and is used for reinforcing concrete. Can't remember the exact size but they were almost as wide and longer than my little Ford station wagon!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”