Greenhouses and Chickens

Have a cool plan for a coop? Or new roost designs? Or you simply want to show off your new building.
Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:37 am

Ask and you shall receive! Thank you all for your input. What I thought was going to be one project has now turned into many. I am def going to tarp in a section of the run for the winter to keep the kids happy in their current set up.

For my other project, I am going to start by building a greenhouse. If i build a coop attached to outside of the greenhouse they could use the greenhouse as a run in the day and retire to the more insulated coop at night through the late fall and winter. When spring arrives and its time for planting, the chooks are evicted to the great outdoors. This would give me a good fall clean up of leftovers, add some butt nugget fertilizer, turn the dirt and keep the chooks warm with a place to roam around. Right? What am I missing?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by ross » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:43 am

If I read right your gonna plant veggies in green house in spring then turn chicks into harvest bugs .Am I right or wrong ? In a confined area like that theyed probably eat veggies too if not protected . Will work well if using for winter & manure . Luck
Last edited by ross on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am

I think it would work if done right. on the plant side too much manure (as long as its not too fresh) would push green growth (leaves) and may reduce flowering. So ya gotta learn how to "balance" the plant "feeding".

I plan to do somethig similiar in the future (i have a few things on the to do list that are more pressing.)
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 am

I hope Jan (www) chimes in, I know she has a green house and used it for chickens, If I am not mistaken she found it got too hot too fast?
Like Bert mentioned, chicken manure needs to be composted for 2 years (three if you are planning to go organic) to get rid of the pathogens and to balance PH.
It all depends on what you are going to grow and how finicky you are ;)

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Brebis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:36 am

One idea may be to put a layer of straw down in the fall in the greenhouse and rake that up in the spring to compost to keep the fresh manure load to a minimum so it doesn't "burn" the new plantings. Adding greens and other compostable things will help balance the nitrogen:Carbon ratio of the compost.

There are lots of examples of using poultry in mixed livestock systems (with rabbits, pigs, sheep) in greenhouse type structures on bedded packs that allow a more desirable mix of components in the pack (manures, straw, hay, misc.) that start composting in the pack and then really well and quickly when it is removed. Most of these will be ready in a few months after its removed.

Definitely lots of possibilities!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST If I read right your gonna plant veggies in green house in spring then turn chicks into harvest bugs .Am I right or wrong ? In a confined area like that theyed probably eat veggies too if not protected . Will work well if using for winter & manure . Luck
Keep the chickens in the greenhouse over the winter and kick them out when its time for veggies in spring. And yes, fall cleanup, and to overwinter and manure.

Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Brebis wrote:QR_BBPOST One idea may be to put a layer of straw down in the fall in the greenhouse and rake that up in the spring to compost to keep the fresh manure load to a minimum so it doesn't "burn" the new plantings. Adding greens and other compostable things will help balance the nitrogen:Carbon ratio of the compost.

There are lots of examples of using poultry in mixed livestock systems (with rabbits, pigs, sheep) in greenhouse type structures on bedded packs that allow a more desirable mix of components in the pack (manures, straw, hay, misc.) that start composting in the pack and then really well and quickly when it is removed. Most of these will be ready in a few months after its removed.

Definitely lots of possibilities!
Great thinking. I was thinking that I didn't have to wait 2 years (or 3)...

I guess putting down straw and raking it up come spring would be the best bet.

Biddy Brooder
Newly Hatched Chick

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by Biddy Brooder » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST I hope Jan (www) chimes in, I know she has a green house and used it for chickens, If I am not mistaken she found it got too hot too fast?
Like Bert mentioned, chicken manure needs to be composted for 2 years (three if you are planning to go organic) to get rid of the pathogens and to balance PH.
It all depends on what you are going to grow and how finicky you are ;)
I would have to allow them access to the greenhouse and to outside so they can self regulate when required.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by ross » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Sounds good to me biddy . Keep us informed with pics . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Greenhouses and Chickens

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:55 am

I'll get back to this hopefully tomorrow night to explain better, but this is what I did:
DSC08828.JPG
ALIM2420.JPG
ALIM2421.JPG
ALIM2424.JPG
ALIM2425.JPG
ALIM2426.JPG
First picture is a crappy view from the back...there are two chicken hatches on either side that open out into small secure runs, which can open out into the larger communal area enclosed by trampoline netting.

Return to “Coop Designs and Building Plans”