Has Brinsea gone barking mad?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:43 pm

400 bucks for a 20 chick ecoglow brooder???????? a thousand dollars for a 2 dozen egg incubator?????????????? :o

:sFun_mornincoffee:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Those are some marked up prices from a distributor, C.Botkin sells the brooder for $280 Canadian (which is still expensive), their incubator prices are up to $800, which is crazy expensive.

For brooders I plan to order 2 "heating plates" from Premier 1 Supplies, one small and one large. Even with our crappy dollar, prices not bad, plus use less energy the light bulbs.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/detail ... ation-data
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 pm

WOW! So how does csa approval work again hahahaha... I gotta get my business off the ground! making incubators, hatchers, brooders, heat panels, pluckers, feed n water dishes ect. CRAP I need some money! should I enroll in school, get osap, take the money n run? pay it back asap... I have a buddy who did that... paid it back in full before interest was ever applied. smart guy.

okay i would never do that but I am most likely enrolling in school for a millwright.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 pm

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 pm

so look at the ships from company on amazon. its not brinsea.
Amazon just opened up to off-shore companies here in canada. I was looking for hitching rings the other day, found a great deal 10 of them for 40$. plus 550$ shipping!!!!! yes. 550 for shipping. lol. some chinese company. they get shipped from overseas. arrival date JUNE!
buyer beware on amazon.ca now. i liked it way better before they opened up to the international stores.
now my hubby and i make sure to only buy from prime eligible-those are canadian for the most part. and ship from amazon most of the time.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:24 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST WOW! So how does csa approval work again hahahaha... I gotta get my business off the ground! making incubators, hatchers, brooders, heat panels, pluckers, feed n water dishes ect. CRAP I need some money! should I enroll in school, get osap, take the money n run? pay it back asap... I have a buddy who did that... paid it back in full before interest was ever applied. smart guy.

okay i would never do that but I am most likely enrolling in school for a millwright.
Al, all you need to do to get something CSA certified is to have someone come out and test the item you make. If you are small scale you get them out to test each piece, and each piece then gets a sticker and you pay per piece. If you are going to go into manufacturing LOTS (and i mean LOTS) then you go and get your own certification, and then you have the right to stamp your pieces with the CSA symbol.

going back to learn a trade is never a bad idea. ever. and there are lots of scholarship funds available. Send my hubby a message when he's back from germany, he can give you better info on the grants than i can. many of them do not require being paid back in full. the OSAP program doesn't really exist like it did anymore...which is good, because some people that NEEDED it couldn't get it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:29 pm

thanks Kathy. about 10 years ago I applied for osap and got denied because of my credit... I cant tell you how lost I felt. I was trying to become a biologist, which would ultimately lead me into herpetology (reptiles and amphibians) I dont have the time to do that now. sink or swim.

I would love to go into manufacturing poultry equipment that would be amazing!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:23 am

I think you would be GOOD @ it too Al ~ hurry up & make a prototype...you never know what will happen (*o*)
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:33 am

Thanks PP! I do have a prototype but its full of eggs ;-) haha

:coolguy:

but it all comes back to money...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:05 am

1/2 down 1/2 on delivery to start . Walk then run . Luck man . As
Albert Enstien said " common sense will get yu from A-B but imagination will get yu the rest of the way "
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”