Serious Gal but has poop on her egg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Argh!! All the suspense and worry. Sorry sandy!! :hug: its a tough time of year for chicks-cold at night...maybe better this way and she will brood again once she beefs up condition again.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks guys.

Is it best to put her back with the flock right away? She's been on her own in a cage in our mud room.

Should I break open the eggs? Anything I can look for to help me know what went wrong?

I can't believe it :(

Scrambled eggs (not those eggs) for everyone in the morning! That will help her get reintroduced into the flock.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:38 pm

awwwww booooooo! well that sucks! Very sorry Sandy! When you crack the eggs open, if they developed and then stopped they will look different from a fresh egg and in various states of development. you could compare to pics off the net or that one really cool video? and figure out how far along they were.

when this happens to me, and it happens to all of us, I crack each egg into a bowl and just decide if they were fertilized (development) or not. then dump into the compost.

my first attempt at incubation resulted in apx 45 fully formed dead in shell (DIS) chicks. i was devastated, extremely mad and almost gave up on poultry all together! 3 hatched and one had a very bad cross beak.

OCs post on PSO about dry incubation was how i figured out what I did wrong, how to fix it and kept me going!

Others will have a much better idea on what to do with miss broody hen. I considered myself very lucky in breaking a turkey hen off a nasty nest a few weeks ago. I threw her off and destroyed the nest. made it impossible for her to sit back in the same spot n she never went back. she just started laying again a couple days ago.... PHEW!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:41 pm

I would definitely crack them just to see what night have happened....if they failed real early or later or what.
And yeah iwould try to get her back into the flock. She might just turn around and steal eggs and brood again...if so put her on chick starter and lots of higher protein to help her keep condition. But hopefully she will take a bit of a break from brooding and eat.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:02 am

When it's light out, I'll move her to the pen again. I can lock her on the other side so she can't climb in a nesting box and try to steal eggs.
I'll crack the eggs and take a few shots. I'm curious what I'll find but sad I don't have any babies :(

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:09 am

Sorry to hear that but I'm sure bad hatches have happened to most of us.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:03 am

That's unfortunate, Sandy. I know you were really looking forward to some babies. At least you know that you have a very determined and committed broody for next time. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:46 am

Well. Here are my 10 baby silkies :doh: :gaah: :pull_hair:
image.jpeg
Very runny. No form to them at all. A few had a bit of like gelantenous stuff. But a complete flop.
image.jpeg
Silkie eggs with a bullseye.

I just don't get how every single egg is a dud

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:57 am

Um, maybe it's just my poor eyesight, but those dots in the bottom pic don't look like bullseyes to me. :hide:
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:05 am

No the bottom 2 don't look like bullseyes. Some were fertile because there's some veining in the top pic.Very early quitters.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”