Serious Gal but has poop on her egg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 pm

I feel your frustration, but if your hen still committed, give it a little longer. Fingers crossed for a happy event this weekend.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:39 pm

I feel like my ice cream cone is melting inside the car and I lost my keys!!! TORTURE.

BUT ... I will continue to be patient.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd give it another day and then candle all of them. They could be late, it happens all the time around here when hens hide a nest with a load of eggs, or eggs spend too much time in a cooler spot in the incubator. I've had them hatch as late as 5 days. One time a hen had left her nest under my porch with new chicks, leaving 3 eggs unhatched, and I didn't get around to pitching them right away...3 days after she left the nest, the dog grabbed one of the leftovers out, I yelled thinking I was about to have a dog stinking of rotten egg...he dropped it and out rolled a LIVE, struggling chirping baby. Miracles do happen lol! Ever since then (and a couple stinkers that broke in nests and killed everything) I meddle, er, candle obsessively lol

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:26 pm

ahhhhhh give it more time. go in late tonight with a flashlight and candle the eggs.... if they are black they should hatch soon. if they are clear... well then they wont. I will just us the flashlight on my phone to check broody eggs that way I dont contaminate the one I use for my incubator.

I still have my fingers crossed!!!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 pm

lol I didnt see the last 3 posts...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:03 pm

I candled a few and they just look pinkish inside. Ugh!! I'm going to do them all with the flashlight. I will report back in a few

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Well all I see is pinkish, hollow looking eggs. How can that even be possible? One looks like it has an air pocket in it.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Oh dear. All of them? Are they all from the same hen? Same rooster? They're likely either infertile or got too cold before setting, ending development before it began.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Not the same hen, same rooster yes. They are fertile eggs because I check them every time I crack them. Think I'll go to bed crushed!!

What do I do now?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST Not the same hen, same rooster yes. They are fertile eggs because I check them every time I crack them. Think I'll go to bed crushed!!

What do I do now?
I'd say, take good care of your broody (very important -she needs to to recuperate), and look out for next window of "broody opportunity".
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”