Optimum lighting hours, Article of the day

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Optimum lighting hours, Article of the day

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:03 pm

Effects of photoperiod on broodiness, egg-laying and endocrine responses in native laying hens
A.L. Geng,S.F. Xu,Y. Zhang,J. Zhang,Q. Chu &H.G. Liu
Posted online: 10 Jan 2014, British Poultry Science

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 013.878782

Somewhere back in time I heard that 14 hours of light were about the optimum for hens to lay well. So I have dutifully set my timer in early september and left it til April so that is what my birds get. And it sort of works. I am sure it doesn't help that I am operating a retirement home as well as a laying facility.

So I thought I would look on line to bolster my prejudice, and this is what I found.

Seems like their experiments showed that twelve hours of light, followed by two hours of darkness, then four hours of light and six hours of darkness will stimulate the best egg production. (12L:2D:4L:6D)

I also don't do incubators, but like my broody hens to raise the chicks. Broodiness is also are stimulated by light/dark periods. The research showed that eight hours of light then four hours of dark, four light and six dark caused them to go broody about twice as often as the best laying light. (8L:4D:4L:8D)

So what I am going to do is go adjust my timer to the maximum laying shown above and see what difference it makes. I will try to remember to report results in a week or so.

I am not going to try to adjust the timer to stimulate broodiness. I will just trust to nature and longer days coming up to do the trick.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Optimum lighting hours, Article of the day

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:08 pm

The original 1947 Swedish Research showed 14 hrs optimum. Too much cuts back laying as well. Can't find the paper ATM I will look. BTW we should also be looking at light for male fertility as well wich is often overlooked.
I too am operating one of those "Full Service Retirement Communitites!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”