Question  What do I do?

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

What do I do?

Post by Rossman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:51 am

I have four black copper marans and two of them have gone broody (2-3 days now) even though we have no roosters. I guess they just decided they would give it a go.

At first I was inclined to just take the eggs and try to break them of the broodiness, but then I remembered we have 15 baby chicks coming from Performance Poultry on May 1st. So now, I'm thinking, maybe I can get the broody hens to raise the baby chicks?

What do you folks think? Also, if you think the hens should be able to raise the chicks, should I try to move them because right now they are just in the coop and the nest boxes are 6" off the floor (ie if chicks fall out they can't get back in). Or should I maybe construct a pen for them around those nest boxes with the chick starter, water, etc?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Answer by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm
Rossman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am
Another question - assuming all works out and mama hen adopts the babies, do I move them out to the coop sooner than I otherwise would have?
If your broodies are sitting together on their eggs. You can do it 2 ways. Bring the Mom's with the eggs into the house just before you pickup your chicks. Let them both sit in the brooder. I do this all the time, BTW. If they are serious, they will just smuggle down onto those eggs. Make sure they have food (chick starter, Medicated) and water with vitamins in it. Get your babies and just slide them under your broodies. They will continue to sit...they think they are still hatching eggs. I just start taking the eggs out from under them. They will suddenly just stand up and start Mothering the chicks.

After about 3 or 4 days. I start taking them outside. For the first day or so, I bring them back inside at night. Once the Mom's are ready, they will keep the babies safe and warm. I have 3 sets of Mom's in my hen house right now. All chicks are about 2 weeks old. Works like a charm.

GO TO FULL POST ➙

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: What do I do?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 am

If it were me I would give them some dummy eggs. Timing should be just about right for you PP chicks. Sneak the new arrivals in at night and remove the eggs then. Watch the Mums to make sure they don't attack the new babies. I have had success grafting babies but perhaps a feew others can comment. I know @Kbr42 does this with her silkies on a regular basis.
If you can I would give them their own space.
I have never had much luck breaking broodiness.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am

Let them sit! Once you get your babies. Bring them into the house at night and put the babies under her. She'll think she hatched them. I usually put a couple of eggs under them and throw the eggs out. Make sure you mark the eggs. Good luck.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am
Let them sit! Once you get your babies. Bring them into the house at night and put the babies under her. She'll think she hatched them. I usually put a couple of eggs under them and throw the eggs out. Make sure you mark the eggs. Good luck.
My brooder is about 3' x 7' about 3' tall - so, i guess an ok size... so I should put the baby chicks in that when i get them home, like normal, then just bring in the broody hen and put her in the brooder at night? Do I bring both broody hens in?

thanks so much for the advice!!!

edit: they are already on some ceramic eggs but prob some real eggs too at this point. i can deal with the loss of those eggs if they can raise the baby chicks for me.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am

Another question - assuming all works out and mama hen adopts the babies, do I move them out to the coop sooner than I otherwise would have?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:46 pm

I’ve had hens raise baby chicks in a large tin barn in December no problem as long as they can get under the hen when they’re young
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Rossman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am
If your broodies are sitting together on their eggs. You can do it 2 ways. Bring the Mom's with the eggs into the house just before you pickup your chicks. Let them both sit in the brooder. I do this all the time, BTW. If they are serious, they will just smuggle down onto those eggs. Make sure they have food (chick starter, Medicated) and water with vitamins in it. Get your babies and just slide them under your broodies. They will continue to sit...they think they are still hatching eggs. I just start taking the eggs out from under them. They will suddenly just stand up and start Mothering the chicks.

After about 3 or 4 days. I start taking them outside. For the first day or so, I bring them back inside at night. Once the Mom's are ready, they will keep the babies safe and warm. I have 3 sets of Mom's in my hen house right now. All chicks are about 2 weeks old. Works like a charm.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm

@Kbr42 thanks so much for the help!!! I will try and see what happens. I have to set the brooder up this weekend. Already have the medicated chick starter and vitamins for the water. Should be ready to go. Will be amazing if the hens can sort this all out for me (not that it was much of a bother last year).

The two hens are in each in their own nesting box, see the attached image:
Coop Camera 2021-04-20 08.51.44.63 AM.jpg

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:15 pm

These 2 girls were in separate hen houses not just nesting boxes. The buff girl kept attacking my splash. It took a couple of days, but now they are raising the 5 chicks between them.
20210420_132750.mp4
(20.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:43 pm

@Kbr42 - well tonight when it got dark, i moved the hens and eggs to the basement brooder, two nests side by side. seemed to go well. the hens were sleeping and didn't seem to mind too much (few soft clucks). we will see how they are tomorrow, and then introduce the chicks on saturday when we get back from Performance Poultry.

Thanks again for your advice!

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”