Question  What do I do?

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: What do I do?

Post by Rossman » Sat May 01, 2021 5:14 pm

So I got the chicks, when I got home I put them under the broody hens, one hen was really fussy about it and the other, more agreeable. When I went to check on them about 10 minutes later both hens have moved into one nest together and they are huddled over the chicks. There were a couple incidents which I was concerned were too rough but it seemed to be the hens fussing over which chick belonged under which hen? I'm not sure, it was weird.

Another half hour later things seem fairly quiet but about 6 chicks were just pressed up against the side of one hen. I thought perhaps for warmth, so I added my ecoglow brooder and popped them under that.

I'm hoping all is well? any thoughts @Kbr42 @Epona @WLLady ??

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Rossman wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:14 pm
So I got the chicks, when I got home I put them under the broody hens, one hen was really fussy about it and the other, more agreeable. When I went to check on them about 10 minutes later both hens have moved into one nest together and they are huddled over the chicks. There were a couple incidents which I was concerned were too rough but it seemed to be the hens fussing over which chick belonged under which hen? I'm not sure, it was weird.

Another half hour later things seem fairly quiet but about 6 chicks were just pressed up against the side of one hen. I thought perhaps for warmth, so I added my ecoglow brooder and popped them under that.

I'm hoping all is well? any thoughts @Kbr42 @Epona @WLLady ??
So, these are first time Mom's right?
They for some reason peck at the chicks as soon as you put them under them. My suggestion is to turn off all the lights and just put the chicks under the Mom's and leave them until tomorrow. The chicks should be fine. By then, the hens will have thought...hey...I have little ones....and start Mothering them. Listen for them cooing to the little ones.
I had the same problem yesterday. My black silkie was pecking the little ones....today...I showed you the pictures. I have 2 silkies Mothering 10 chicks. It's all good. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sat May 01, 2021 5:29 pm

First timers - yeah (them and me). There was some pecking but mostly from the one hen.
Thanks @Kbr42 , I'll put a blanket over the brooder and keep it dark and quiet down there. They do seem to be making cooing sounds. Lots of peeping.

Thanks!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm

Yep! what she said! LOL. just put them in the dark, with the chicks under. they'll all go to sleep and then wake up later and "oh wow, babies!" hopefully they'll just start sharing the duties, or even combine the chicks into a group with both of them looking after them. the moms should make soft noises to the chicks if the chicks are complaining or peeping. if you hear that, it's likely all going to be good! Fingers crossed for you!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Also can I just say how cute it is when the chicks are jumping up and biting mama hens comb and wattles :D

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sat May 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Sounds like you have it under control. Next time it might be a good idea to totally separate the hens. One is bound to be dominant, which gives you the problem. I’ve had dominate hens totally take the chicks from a lower hierarchy hen. Even when they are their hatch. Also had two hens equally raise a brood of chicks....go figure. Gotta play it by ear and you seem to have it well in hand. Cheers. PS. I’ve leg banded with a red band really dominate hens so I know what to watch for, I’ve also have a green banded hen here that I know will take chicks easily.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Epona wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:11 pm
Sounds like you have it under control. Next time it might be a good idea to totally separate the hens. One is bound to be dominant, which gives you the problem. I’ve had dominate hens totally take the chicks from a lower hierarchy hen. Even when they are their hatch. Also had two hens equally raise a brood of chicks....go figure. Gotta play it by ear and you seem to have it well in hand. Cheers. PS. I’ve leg banded with a red band really dominate hens so I know what to watch for, I’ve also have a green banded hen here that I know will take chicks easily.
These 2 girls total share Mothering. The buff girl used to attack my splash...now it's like...phew! You take them!...lol
20210420_132742.jpg

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:06 am

Soooooo, @Rossman how's it going?

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sun May 02, 2021 8:32 am

@Kbr42 @WLLady @Epona looks like the sleep was all they needed :D

This morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1By7IVSoN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5QNB-yNYU

Thanks again for all the advice!! Anything I need to know about putting them back outside/re-integrating with the other hens (only 5 others)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 am

Awesome! Thanks for the videos.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”