Question  What do I do?

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: What do I do?

Post by Rossman » Tue May 04, 2021 5:47 pm

Been watching the brooder very closely all day.

Things will be fine and then all of a sudden a hen will just randomly target, peck, and chase a baby chick (no particular chick that I can identify). I put a couple hiding places in there and the chicks have learned that is a safe place. Usually I catch it right away because my desk is near the brooder and I can hear the kerfuffle, and I also watch a camera I have set up in the brooder. So I scold the hens and then a bit later on I will move the hiding places and the baby chick will come out and rejoin the flock without issue (hens seem to forget what it was all about?) Then it will happen again a while later.

Should I just evict the mama hens? Maybe they are bad parents?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue May 04, 2021 7:14 pm

I am admittedly nowhere near as experienced as the others on here but I think I'd be concerned about that. Chicks shouldn't need protection from their mom. I've never had two broodies raise chicks together so I'm wondering if that may be the issue. Maybe a bit of jealousy? Or "you're not MY chick...get outta here"?

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 pm

They are all asleep now under the mama hens for the night so all is well, for now.

The moms sleep nestled side by side covering the chicks as a team. So I am not sure if it is a "not my chick" thing, or what they are thinking. When it happens, the other hen does not leap to the chicks defense.

At this point I'm considering evicting the mama hen that does it next (I can't tell them apart so I'm not sure if it's one mama or if they are taking turns being jerks) and seeing what happens? Not 100% sure what my approach should be.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 04, 2021 8:58 pm

i was going to suggest just removing the hen that is the problem and seeing if the other hen will look after everyone. they should not be going after the chicks at all.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Sounds good @WLLady , I will remove the hen and see what happens :xfingers:

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am

@WLLady @Kbr42 @Happy I evicted the orney mama hen this morning, much to her disgust. There have been no incidents since then and I think all is well. i left the ecoglow brooder warmer in there too because they can't all fit under the one hen at once...lol.

Thanks again for the advice hopefully we are on a smooth path now :)

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 am

Rossman wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am
@WLLady @Kbr42 @Happy I evicted the orney mama hen this morning, much to her disgust. There have been no incidents since then and I think all is well. i left the ecoglow brooder warmer in there too because they can't all fit under the one hen at once...lol.

Thanks again for the advice hopefully we are on a smooth path now :)
Good to hear...sometimes broody hens don't like to share. Or they don't like a little chick. Glad you feel better. I know how stressful it is.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I had one of my silkies kill the chicks she decided were not hers. Two broodies together I always have trouble and chicks end up trampled or killed. I now always remove one hen.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

@kenya, thanks for your comment. Seems like that is the way to go.

Well we are at the six day mark and aside from the loss of the one chick everything is going really well. The one hen seems to have no trouble taking care of 14 babies by herself. I was a bit worried because they can't all fit under her at once to get warm, but think they must take turns as no-one seems hard done by.

Really appreciate all the advice, feel as though if I do this again I will be much better prepared.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”