First 2020 set broody

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: First 2020 set broody

Post by Jaye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:19 am

Same here - have driven 2+ hours for companion chicks whenever we wound up with a lone chick.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:47 pm

So this is what I did:
First thing this morning, I looked in the brooder box for the smallest, 17 days old chick I could get my hands on without taking off the entire lid. I took that chick to the broody hen and little 6 days old chick and stayed with them for a few minutes.
The hen has accepted the older chick - Whew!
However, it might be a cockerel, like I think a lot of them are, darn it all.
The first thing the hen did was show the chick where the food is, then later in the day, we saw that older chick now knows to go under the hen for warmth.
That's about all I'm willing to handle right now. We'll see how it all pans out once I let them outside to mingle with the other hens. But we've had a couple of crows hanging around, so I haven't let them out yet.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:25 pm

I worry that the older chick will pick on the younger one, is all. It could end very badly. I hope it doesn't.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:23 pm

:iagree:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:32 pm

You then can't put the older one back either because it will need to be reintegrated as part of the group. That may not end well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:55 am

KimChick wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:47 pm
So this is what I did:
First thing this morning, I looked in the brooder box for the smallest, 17 days old chick I could get my hands on without taking off the entire lid. I took that chick to the broody hen and little 6 days old chick and stayed with them for a few minutes.
The hen has accepted the older chick - Whew!
However, it might be a cockerel, like I think a lot of them are, darn it all.
The first thing the hen did was show the chick where the food is, then later in the day, we saw that older chick now knows to go under the hen for warmth.
That's about all I'm willing to handle right now. We'll see how it all pans out once I let them outside to mingle with the other hens. But we've had a couple of crows hanging around, so I haven't let them out yet.
AT risk of offending people but with the intent of helping people new to the forum and chicken raising
"DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME"
:gaah:
Mutt chickens for eggs

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 am

So far, the older and younger chick are doing fine. What I would be worried over is if I put more older chicks with the hen and younger chick; then they would band together and peck on the younger one. I will keep you all "in the loop" with how things turn out on this farm.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:06 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:32 pm
You then can't put the older one back either because it will need to be reintegrated as part of the group. That may not end well.
I have no intention of putting the older chick back with the others of the same age. It is staying with the hen and younger chick. Eventually, all the chickens will be together, but not yet.
Last edited by KimChick on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:02 am

KimChick wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 am
So far, the older and younger chick are doing fine. What I would be worried over is if I put more older chicks with the hen and younger chick; then they would band together and peck on the younger one. I will keep you all "in the loop" with how things turn out on this farm.
If this older chick is a rooster are you keeping him? If not, you will have a lone chick, pullet, hen or whatever it turns out to be. And you are back in the same situation. You will have a loner. If you are keeping your roosters then all is well. If the chick turns out to be another rooster. Then you are good as well.

Putting more older chicks in with this hen and her little chick is not a good idea at all and I don't believe anyone suggested that.

Putting the same age chicks, even if you have to go and purchase them, is the best plan and I believe what was suggested. I hope your plan works!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:36 am

OK all. I think at this point it is too late to change anything and we will just wish the chicks good luck!
Howver this is not a course of action I would suggest to anyone.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”