First Timer Broody Hen Questions

amberalora
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: First Timer Broody Hen Questions

Post by amberalora » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 pm

:lol: @Killerbunny - maybe that would do the trick! Hahaha

@Jaye I opened them up in the barn into a wheelbarrow because I wasn't sure how gross it would be. So I didn't get a great visual - I didn't notice anything that looked like a blastodisc or blastoderm, but I didn't know about those until now, so I wasn't looking for them. The contents of the egg were just a thick yellow goop, as if the yolk had mixed with the whites but there were no obvious spots or anything solid inside.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like they were infertile.
How long were the hens with the rooster?
Because the fertility with Wyandottes and any Rose comb breeds tends to be lower, we usually eat lots of omelets in the spring before we set eggs, so we have an idea if the fertility is at least 60-70% before setting.
even then it's a bit of a crapshoot ;)

amberalora
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by amberalora » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 am

They have all been together since they were chicks. If they were ever going to be fertile you would think that they would be now. :dunno:

That's interesting that the Rose comb breeds have lower fertility though. I will start checking the eggs more closely when I crack them and see if there are any blastodiscs or blastoderms from either hen. Google says it will be 4-6 weeks before the broody hen will start to lay again, is that right or will it be sooner since she isn't raising chicks?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am

I think it depends on the hen. Mine started laying again about two weeks after her broody spell was broken.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

amberalora
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by amberalora » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am

Hopefully this works, I added a picture of an egg from this mornings breakfast - this is my other hen’s egg. This looks like a blastodisc or derm, right?
Attachments
E69F29D0-24F6-477D-90BD-10CA7C7017B4.jpeg

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 am

The thing that's front and centre looks like an air bubble to me. The white thing at ten o'clock (topside, north west) on the yolk looks like what we need to be looking at. Hard to tell what it is though, because it's only a side view.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

amberalora
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by amberalora » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 am

Ah! Ok - well can’t look at it again haha. I’ll have to check again tomorrow. Thank you!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:41 pm

It doesn't look fertile, it should look like a small white dot with a white circle around it.

amberalora
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by amberalora » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Ok thanks. There was definitely no white spot so it makes sense that it was just an air bubble.

I might get a chance to try this out again sooner than later, my other hen has been on her nest most of the day. If she goes broody I’ll try her eggs under her and see what happens.

If we get no hatch from two rounds would it be safe to say my rooster is a dud?

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21 am

amberalora wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:28 pm
I might get a chance to try this out again sooner than later, my other hen has been on her nest most of the day. If she goes broody I’ll try her eggs under her and see what happens.

If we get no hatch from two rounds would it be safe to say my rooster is a dud?
Nope, could just be he hasn't figured it out yet! You said he is still young, might need some more practice...lol
If you want a hatch, I'm pretty sure someone in your area might have some eggs to spare. Candle often! You'll be able to know what's going on in those eggs. I usually leave them for 5 days...then I can't stand it anymore (lol) and I do a spot candle. The last week leading up to hatch I candle everyday so when I go into lockdown I have an idea of what I can expect. Have fun! :stars:

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”