Brooder Box Location

KimChick
Head Chicken

Brooder Box Location

Post by KimChick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm thinking of incubating in March, and April is still too cool to set the chicks in a brooder box in the shed.
Where does everyone else have their brooder boxes?
In the basement?
WindWalkingWolf - I kept your last year's advice about hatching and dust involved with brooding indoors.
Just thinking the basement will be a more even temperature than the garage or shed.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Brooder Box Location

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi Kim...i have had 4 batches in the brooder over my time with birds..i don't hatch often, obviously...but i always do in in the basement...i have a quiet draft free corner ...depending on the number of chicks of course determines the size...i get a sheet of 7/16 OSB and cut it into 24" slices ..i only need 2 pieces basically but often build a proper box and fasten it to the wall right in the corner...i get a tarp at dollarama for a couple of bucks and staple it to the two walls and then set the box down on it snugly fastening it to the wall...the walls are then 2' high..i hang a heat lamp at the appropriate height at one end...spread a thin layer of course pine shavings on the bottom...put in some water and chick starter and let them figure it out?..it works perfectly..once they got bigger i had a light wooden frame made up with a nylon mesh stapled to it that I set over the top of the box just in case someone got all rambunctious and tried exploring in the basement...I really can't see doing anything more ...the temp is stable...no drafts...no great sound shocks..and the dogs chk them out occasionally wondering what all the cheeping is about...just my 2 cents... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:09 pm

I start in the basement/lower level in Rubbermaid totes. Draught free constant temp area. Then they move to the garage at maybe 3 -4 weeks. this works for both chicks and poults although with poults you must make sure they are feeding and drinking properly.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 pm

When I don't have a Mom, I use a plastic tote. I got the biggest one I could find. I cut the sides out and put I plexiglass in (I used to scary the poop out of the chicks). It works extremely well for about 4 to 5 weeks then they need something bigger. I keep them in my basement.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 am

I try to plan chicks so they don't stay in the house longer then week to 10 days, I use a large gerbil cage that works well, 2 doors on top allow for heat lamp to be suspended over one and feed and water is accessible thru the other one.
Brooder in the basement.jpg
After that they go in to the barn brooder, but sometime even in May or June the nights get pretty cold so good heat lamp is essential.
Barn brooder chicks 2.jpg

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:21 pm

I use a 4'x4' wire puppy pen in the basement. My basement is not finished. I put cardboard along the inside of the walls and on the floor. I put a layer of shavings on the floor and hang a heat lamp. The floor of the pen is set at about 18 inches from the top. I put a piece of cardboard in the middle to divide it in half while they are tiny, then gradually move it over as they need more space.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”