Anyone else dealing with early broodies?

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:30 am

You are off the hook this time but the time is comming.
She was just chcking it out for fit and see if it suited her.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 am

Doug is right - best get some hatching eggs lined up, if you plan to expand your flock this year: Broodies have their own timetables and they don't necessarily align with your plans. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 am

I messaged someone through the classifieds and never heard back. I wonder if the return message goes somewhere else?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:14 am

hmmm no it should go directly to the person you emailed, and when they respond should come back to you. hmmm im guna have to do some testing here in a bit. before the homepage/classifieds/directory went live everything was tested to be fully functional. ill report back in a bit... may need your help Sandy ill pm ya....
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:19 am

Al, email me. I won't be on the forum unless you need me to test. Got email right?

constructoman
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by constructoman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I have a silkie that decided to sit last Saturday. Scooped her and the nest box up and put her into a brooder box in the heated barn. Switched out her eggs with 10 Standard Plymouth Barred Rock eggs. Also set 40 eggs into the incubator the same day. When everything hatches I will toss them all together and let her start them in the brooder box.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:21 pm

LOL she was faking you out!!!

I have had my silkies go broody just about anytime of year, even one in January in the middle of a deep freeze!! :doh:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Well yesterday she gave me a hard time too. She chases anyone who goes near the nesting box and if you take her eggs you're fair game. She's not sitting on them, just doesn't want you to touch them. Tart!!

I made 2 new different prototype versions of nesting boxes for the silkies. Offering more/better privacy. Clearly they have a preference so this weekend I'll make my prototypes into prettier better functioning boxes. Amazing what you can do with items from the dollar store and a box for recycling

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:34 pm

Psssssst. $2 cat litter boxes. On top of each other. Best snug little nesting box ever

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”