Question A little concerned?

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

A little concerned?

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 pm

So, I have a bunch of broody girls including 2 Swedish Flower Hens..not to mention 1 Silkie, and 1 Smooth Coated Silkie...I have a lot of broodiness happening here....

I have a hatch in my incubator :banana: it should be hatching early next week. I have been putting eggs under the broody girls to keep them interested. My question is after the chicks hatch, can I put them under one or both of the Swedish Flower Hens? They are out in a coop with other non Broody Swedish Flower Hens and my 1 non broody Silkie? I don't have a separate area in my coop for them and they would be with everyone else in that coop and run. Has anyone tried this and did you have success at it? If I can get away from taking care of the chicks all the better for me. I have some 8 week olds that will be going into that same Swedish Flower Hen coop in then next few months.

Thoughts? Advise?

Cheers,

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: A little concerned?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I have one devoted Mama (Sister) who will take any chicks/poults up to a week old. SHe has saved several in the past. I would try but watch very carefully.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

I've done it before putting chicks under a broody girl with lots of success. My concern is leaving them out in the coop. I usually have the broody girl in the house and put the chicks under her in the house.....but somehow, I've been told it's not a good idea this time :)

What I'm really concerned about is the other full grown hens attacking the little hatchlings.

I have never let the hens raise chicks in the outdoor pens.......

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Sister would never allow that. She is quite aggressive as a broody with the other hens. Perhaps WWW could shed some light as she has loads of broodies around LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm
I've done it before putting chicks under a broody girl with lots of success. My concern is leaving them out in the coop. I usually have the broody girl in the house and put the chicks under her in the house.....but somehow, I've been told it's not a good idea this time :)

What I'm really concerned about is the other full grown hens attacking the little hatchlings.

I have never let the hens raise chicks in the outdoor pens.......
Very risky, the other hens will consider chicks intruders, same as mice, chipmunks etc. and will happily dispatch them.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Ya, that's what I'm afraid of exactly that @Ontario Chick. Since I have 4 broody hens I could just bring one inside the house and let her raise them and the integrate back into the flock....that of course is a bit of work.....

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 am

It really depends on the personality and flock position of the mama. I only have one or two hens I can trust to raise babies in the coop with other hens. Those ones will keep the littles out of harms way, and call them under wing if anyone else gets near them. Other hens will just stand at one end of the coop screaming while another hen shreds the chicks at the other end. Even free ranging, good mamas need to keep chicks away from the rest of the flock, especially at meal time. If a chick dashes under a not-the-mamas legs, even another broody with chicks, it can very quickly turns tragic, and possibly even be on the menu.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks @windwalkingwolf That's exactly what I'm concerned about. So, it's settled! I'm keeping the little ones separate.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers,

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:00 am

Do you have a dog cage, or rabbit cage ,a large dog cage will allow the other chickens to see the new brood without being able to hurt them. Give them a week to get used to them then put them out and supervise at first to ensure they'll be ok. I do this all the time works great for me. You might have to put other wiring around the dog cage to ensure the chicks can't get out but you won't around a rabbit cage.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

Of course it will depend on how big your coop is, if the hen can't move away you might still have problems.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”