Mailed eggs

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Mailed eggs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Which is the weak one? Or what colour if not one of those pictured above? Does that blue fellow have any brownish or reddish near his head? The partridge (chipmunk stripes) coloured one is going to be a stunner, looks like she will have incomplete lacing much like my Goldy hen that you're enamoured with, and if not, she will have spectacular markings nonetheless. And yes, I bet it's a girl. The one whitish chick with black head spots and an orange-ish neck is also going to be spectacular. The other one that's yellow with a black head dot, will be mottled and may also show red barring but could just look mottled and carry crele, hard to say. The chicks that hatch yellow with a black head dot are my own personal prize, and are few and far between. Kind of funny that I chose eggs that I thought would carry lacing, which I don't breed for (just happy mistake) and you got chicks that I DO breed for, but don't hatch enough to get! Those two will NOT stay yellow. Once they start to feather in, they will get darker and more colourful. It's actually quite amazing to watch.
That one little yellow guy with the random black patches, will likely stay that colour. He will likely feather in white, with black "paint" marks that may get more pronounced as he gets older. I can't see if he's got any orange on his head, but if he does, he may have red or gold splashes as well. Other than that, I see two mottleds (at least one copy but probably two) and three blacks, one carrying silver. If that last one is a girl, you may never see the silver if I've become any sort of judge of down colour. She'll just grow up to look a sort of muddy black, maybe with some light underfluff and/or some "salt and pepper" on her head. If a boy, it could go the same way as the girl, but maybe with salt and pepper in hackles saddle and tail as well.
I love this game.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 am

All is well this morning, can't tell which one it was wasn't doing so well yesterday. Looks like they are going to be a friendly bunch. Feeding them a fried egg this morning, they were all over my hands. My lot, they wait til the mother picks it off and drops it in front of them. Thank you Jan. How friendly are your bunch, or skittish?

That blue one could be one of my eggs. One of the other hens laid in her next box one day and I thought I got the right one out, but could have taken the wrong blue egg. No redish near its head that I see.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:26 am

Wow! Excellent results for shipped eggs! Love the colours.

Enjoy them!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 am

Meant to mention that the splash hen, Niagra, I got from Kenya last summer or the fall before. Been a good hen, first time broody this lot.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:34 am

So ten days old today. They are a friendly bunch, and Niagra too. First time I took a handful of scratch and put it in front of them this morning they were right at it eating out of my hand. Woodworking wolf should be so proud, and I am sort of pleased too.

Some pics from this morning with the neighbor feeding them. The one that wasn't doing so well died on day two, and one more that I put up for adoption. So a couple pics have all 9 with her. So at ten days, the count is 10 out of 12 set thriving. First day outside free ranging today.

Thinking when it comes time to mane, if they are hens the two black and white ones that the neighbor says lool like nuns can be Sister Kathryn in honour of WLL and Sister Jan in honour of their godmother WWW.
Attachments
All 9 in here.
All 9 in here.
Brekkie is served
Brekkie is served
The waitress offers second helpings
The waitress offers second helpings
Drinking starts early in the day.
Drinking starts early in the day.
A Hunting We Will Go
A Hunting We Will Go
Eight out of the 9
Eight out of the 9

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 pm

:heart: I really should get hatching some bantam eggs :heart:

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:00 pm

So cute and I love the names!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:40 am

Close to a month old, they are growing. Out of the 11 hatched, still have 9. One died in the first day or two, and within the last week, one just didn't come home, no known reason. Starting to look at combs to guess what is rooster and what is hen, and any possible LBGT, which I have trouble identifying, but I like them all anyway.
Attachments
Mailed eggs, month old
Mailed eggs, month old

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am

Very cute :) What a nice colour assortment!
I had one of Little's girls disappear last night. They are 9 weeks old but Little is still mothering. When I went to lock them up she only had 7 in the rafters. I called hubby out and we started searching-racing against darkness setting in. I was focused on looking for feathers on the ground and looking up in trees because these little ones roost high. We were just about to give up when I thought about @windwalkingwolf 's story about one getting trapped under a bucket. I realized I had carried out the compost in a big stainless steel bowl and got side tracked and left the empty bowl outside. Sure enough it was flipped over. There was little Frankie! Poor girl was confused but she had been there about 2 hours in the shade so she was fine. WHEW! PTO saved her! Thanks WWW!

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm

:chicks: What a mix! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any will be gold laced, and my hen with good lacing went broody a week ago, so I won't be getting any of her eggs anytime soon :idunno:
I think my original colour guesses still stands...of the chicks I can see, there's a blue chick hiding behind mom, a paint, two blacks, a red partridge, and three mottleds. The two lighter, splash-looking ones near the front should keep getting darker as they get older. The one with his head up is almost certainly a boy, but I can't see the rest of their little heads clearly enough to guess genders.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”