Proud broody

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Proud broody

Post by Brebis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Well last September the BLRW hen in my avatar disappeared then reappeared 3 weeks later. The chicks in the avatar are the ones she incubated and hatched outside-4 whitish ones and 3 chipmunks, 4 cockerels and 3 pullets.

So here are pics of them over 4 months later. Very nice I think, and have me having fun guessing parentage. Dads could be either Russian Orloff or Light Sussex, mothers could be BLRW, Light Sussex, Welsummer, EE, Ameracauna, Russian Orloff or Gold Spangled Hamburg. I have my suspicions but curious to hear what others think.
Attachments
One cockerel like this
One cockerel like this
image.jpeg (58.88 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Two pullets are like this
Two pullets are like this
image.jpeg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
One pullet
One pullet
image.jpeg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
One cockerel
One cockerel
Another pic of the dark pullets
Another pic of the dark pullets
image.jpeg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Two cockerels are like this
Two cockerels are like this
image.jpeg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Proud broody

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 pm

I like your post. No idea about the parentage. But I like the look of them. Your own broody and your own chicks, Its the way to go. No incubators for me. Well mostly. I have a hen right now with a dozen about a week old. Had the hen set on eggs, either not fertile or got cold (I suspect the latter) and needed chicks, and got some from Goosey Gail. (Thanks Gail) and grafted them on. New blood and the hen has chicks to take care of.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Number 2 and 5 pullets are wellsomer/ ameraucana cross. Number 4 cockeral silver spangled cross.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:43 am

The dark cockerel and pullets are quite small, so thinking the cockerel at least is Orloff X Gold spangled Hamburg. The pullets not sure though I'd bet a scoop of seeds their Dad is the Orloff! They are very good fliers too which makes me think mom is the Hamburg!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”