Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Another broody

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:34 am

Rooster for sure OC!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

My 2nd Cochin girl has been broody for about 10 days. After the first one squishing eggs I wasn't going to go through that again so she's been sitting on golf balls. She's a very easy broody. Much nicer than her sister was. I have eggs due to hatch next Friday in the incubator. Will hopefully be able to slide babies under this girl and make her happy. The first Cochin has turned out to be a very good and attentive mother once she had a fully hatched chick. She was just horrible at the sitting part.

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Ok so my Cochin Sophie has been sitting on golf balls beside Little's nest. They can't see each other but Little's eggs have all hatched and Sophie can hear the babies and she's gently chirping away to her golf balls :rofl:

I almost feel mean tricking her now. I'm waiting on 2 more eggs in the incubator to hatch and then :xfingers: hopefully slip 6 babies under her. The oldest one hatched about 26 hours ago. How long can I wait for these last two eggs? And any tips on how to do this successfully? I've heard at night. Really scared she will kill them. She's a first timer. If she won't accept these chicks then she's s.o.l. because I'm not doing anymore broodies this year!! Stamped it lol. I'm done.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Well looks like Sister wants to join the fun so I gave her a few eggs today. I don't want to disappoint her as she's my best girl, will adopt anything, any age. If she sticks great, if not, no big deal.
I can't help on the giving her chicks because Sister just grabs the baby and cuddles it if it's an adoptee. She saved 2 turkey poults for me this way.
Good Luck
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 pm

I have put foster babies under Gracie twice, both times at night. Her reaction was always surprise, and then she would tuck them under her, trilling and clucking to them. I always stuck around until they were all settled down and quiet and then I'd leave but wake up before dawn to watch them interact and make sure there was no hint of rejection, because it can happen fast, apparently. Gracie has been a really good foster mama, and takes care of chicks for 8 weeks on average before joining the flock on the roost again.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Put them in at night shes hearing Littles babies so is expecting hers to hatch soon, probably won't be surprised.

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 am

Well I failed again :( I'm not sure if my broodies are just picky or if I panic too fast. But I ended up hauling Sophie out in the dark and physically shaking her to get the chicks out of her fluff. She didn't react much at all until I had all of them under her. Then she snapped. I put her on the perch in the dark after that but she was in a nesting box at first light so she's locked in a pen now :(
Doesn't feel fair to her but I can't have 3 different sets of chicks going at once. I'm just not set up for that.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh thats too bad.

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”