Anybody want some future little broodies?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Anybody want some future little broodies?

Post by Happy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 pm

FullSizeRender.jpg
Updated pictures of Little's Baby.
Although I love her dearly this is the ugliest Cochin I've ever seen! Lol
Is it possible for a single barred Cochin rooster to mate a barred rock and produce a solid black chick? Because that exactly what she looks like! She has BR shape, stance and eyes. She even walks like a BR. If you look back in this thread I had thought that she hatched from a barred rock egg. It wasn't until the chick was dry and I was it's colour that I thought it was a pure Cochin. I've hatched a whack of Cochin chicks since this girl and none of them look like her! They are all full and fluffy and even the one sparse in toe feathers has much fuller leg feathers than Little's Baby.
IMG_5599.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_5595.JPG

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 am

When I lived in BC, had Barred Rocks. I think every chick was black when crossed. Bluest eggs I have ever had came from an Americauna roo and those barred rock crosses.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

IMG_6032.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_6058.JPG
I was going to put this somewhere else but decided that the title of this thread probably still applies. Little's Baby is about 4 months old. I would guess she's still weeks away from laying (at least). This girl is obsessed with watching the hens in a laying box, hopping onto a warm egg whenever she can, throwing shavings on her back, watching chicks.
I've seen pullets practice and pretend but nothing like this girl. It's like she can't wait to start laying and be a mother lol!
BTW she lost all of her point tail feathers and now looks kind of rumpless...who knows if they will grow back or if she will have a little bump bum!

Has anybody seen a pullet act like this?

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm

IMG_7127.JPG
Well Little's Baby (renamed Bebe) laid her first egg today :) I've never seen a pullet so well practiced...she's been sneaking into nest boxes for 2 months lol. She's turned out a gorgeous beetle green black.
IMG_7122.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 pm

She's beautiful! How big is she now? I've never had a pullet 'practice' for more than a week before her first egg, I don't think, but I go by rooster receptiveness mainly-- once I get a squat, I know first egg is only a few days away and I start checking hidey holes. Once they are actually in a nest trying to lay the first egg, they often seem to rethink the laying boxes and pick a hidden spot instead :/. Or a turkey nest complete with turkey LOL.
Hopefully you won't be dumping a broody Bebe off eggs all winter!

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm surprised how Bebe has turned out considering she was a pretty homely chick. She has to be part barred rock. Her shape isn't Cochin at all. And she laid far earlier than my Cochins did. She also has much bigger comb and wattles and rock eye colour. She's a pretty big girl. Only been squatting for the rooster for a week but her obsession with eggs has been hilarious. I even caught her in a nesting box throwing shavings on her back a few weeks ago. She is a weirdo but gets along with everyone. Spends 1/2 her time with the chicks playing.
IMG_7147.JPG
Check out little Sherman's hackles in the background lol. He's having a rough molt.
IMG_7133.JPG
Beside Harley for size comparison
IMG_7149.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG

Return to “Brooding and Broodies”